Pressure

Big_R

Hey guys I've got a question for you. I just missed a solid buck this morning at 50 yards. I rushed the shot like an idiot. Do you think that deer will be back in the same area? And if so, how many days would you wait trying to get on him again? Thanks in advance. And it's not because of practice, I hit a tree limb and it deflected away. I should have waited for him to clear the brush. Big bucks seem to remove all of my patience somehow!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]Whitetail I'm guessing? He likely didn't go far. I'd wait a few days. He'll be back. WT's get spooked all the time. If they ran away and never came back, they'd never sleep anywhere twice! Just MHO.

Thanks for your response, It was a mule deer in the Sierra range in California. He?s pushing 170 which is really rare for this state and especially for the area I'm hunting. I'm hoping that you're right and he doesn't go far. I've been trying to get him for two years, hopefully I can get it done soon!

From experience, the young ones return pretty much the next day and resume their usual pattern. Most especially if it didn't catch your scent or a visual of you and was simply spooked by a missed shot.

The mature bucks tend to take a 2 or 3 day break from that particular spot. Sometimes they just move to the next ridge

He'll be back. They usually don't go far unless there's heavy hunting pressure. If he's an older buck, it might be a couple or three days or so of him not seeing, smelling or hearing people before he's back to normal. I'd get back in there hunting as soon as you can though.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Thanks guys for your responses! I'm going in there tomorrow again, hopefully with the hot weather we've been experiencing I'll catch him coming to water. I'll be sure to let you know what happens. Thanks again

I've been back in a few times and couldn't find him again, now I'm waiting for season to start next weekend and I'll be searching again. This time I'll probably use the rifle so he definitely won't be running away after the shot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom