Pretty disappointing

deerkiller

Very Active Member
Today marked my 25 deer opener that I’ve participated in, here in Utah. I am shocked by the amount of inconsiderate, entitled people that are out on our public land hunting these days. And the really bad part is, most of them have kids with them and are showing them that it’s ok to act this way towards other hunters. There was a number of things I witnessed today, one of which a guy who had been on the mountain since last night, bedded a buck and began his stalk. Another guy saw this taking place and RAN down hill as fast as he could to cut the other guy off, completely blowing opportunities for either hunter. I visited with the kid who was the first hunter to begin the stalk and he asked if this type of behavior was normal for that area. I said it didn’t use to be, but it’s getting more common. I’d be shocked if the kid was older than 18. The other dude was at least 40 from what I could tell through glass. And this deer was by no means “worth it”. It was a damn 18” 3x3. I saw a few other things take place that all I could really say was ‘wow’. I get we all wanna be heroes and fill our tags, but come on. I know it’s opening day, but that excuse doesn’t fly when this stuff is taking place. This is blatant disrespect and douchery. 10 years ago, I never saw any of this stuff. Now it’s an everyday occurrence.

anyways, rant over. It was good to get back out in the hills. It’s been a long summer! Hope everyone has an enjoyable day without too much bullchit to deal with from other hunters.

That crud has been going on for years here in utah that's why I quit hunting public ground on general season units it's a joke and it's sad that those thing happen

So many lacking common courtesy!

8EA356F5-4632-4E13-AE6B-E53392B8AD65.jpeg

Not everybody is that way. Everybody I ran across today was very polite and considerate and wanted to make sure they weren't messing me up (which they weren't). It was my first time in the area and people were very helpful in educating me on the lay of the land. Very friendly atmosphere across the board, like everybody was cheering each other on.

My favorite thing from today... I was sitting on a ridge and a dually diesel cane driving down below me on very compact roads... 2 teenagers in the back seat just staring down at their phones not even paying attn. while the dad beat his way down the road. Lmao.

I hear you, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they arent doing it intentionally, but my son and I experienced quite a bit of this last weekend in New Mexico. We had 2 different stalks ruined by guys flying up past us and going around us in trucks to get a shot before we could get in position on foot. One of them might not have seen us, but I know for a fact the 2nd one did. We met eyes through binoculars while we were up on the ridge and they were down on the road, lol Really bothered my son which I decided was a good experience for us, as hopefully being on that end of it will teach him some respect and courtesy for others as he spends more time in the woods.

Hey ox?

They Take the Dually up one of your BLAZED ATV Trails?:D

Out Through the Sage Maybe?

My favorite thing from today... I was sitting on a ridge and a dually diesel cane driving down below me on very compact roads... 2 teenagers in the back seat just staring down at their phones not even paying attn. while the dad beat his way down the road. Lmao.

So Do Tell Me RidgeTops?

You The One that Turned Me in to Founder for using the Words TARD/TARDS a few years ago?

HINT:

When I Use the Term!

I Sure The HELL Ain't Directing it at Handicapped Kids!

And there's a reason why people with mentally handicapped kids find that word offensive!

So Do Tell Me RidgeTops?

You The One that Turned Me in to Founder for using the Words TARD/TARDS a few years ago?

HINT:

When I Use the Term!

I Sure The HELL Ain't Directing it at Handicapped Kids!
No, I wouldn't do that. I'm always up to discussing the subject privately.
Sure, I was thinking about my own kid when I made my comment but I could have been referring to a friend, sibling, parent or someone that I just plain respect, that's trying to deal with a learning problem or mental issue.

To be fair I have a kid with Down’s syndrome and I still use the word utard. If you let a word hurt you that’s your choice.

I do know one thing though, life got a lot better the further one gets from Utah.

Fair Enough Ridge!

I've Never Directed it at Anybody Handicapped on here!

Or at least not that I Know of!

No, I wouldn't do that. I'm always up to discussing the subject privately.
Sure, I was thinking about my own kid when I made my comment but I could have been referring to a friend, sibling, parent or someone that I just plain respect, that's trying to deal with a learning problem or mental issue.

This is going to hurt.

Bess is correct.(ouch)

First, everyone is offended all the time. Especially by folks they dont know on an internet forum.

Second, last I checked, the Basin was in Utah. Meaning the guy using Utard, is one.

Third. Ill also assume that if you son is a regular reader of MM so as to see the "Utard" word used, then he read the places it is used and should get why

Forth. I tell my boys that when they are in a group of dudes, if men give you ****, its because they accept you as being part of the group. If they ignore you they dont.

Last. Are we really going to start word policing in hunting? Do I need to apologize to the flatbrimmers? The supplement junkies? The Tacoma crowd? The 6.5 manbun fellas?

Last edited:
This is going to hurt.

Bess is correct.(ouch)

First, everyone is offended all the time. Especially by folks they dont know on an internet forum.

Second, last I checked, the Basin was in Utah. Meaning the guy using Utard, is one.

Third. Ill also assume that if you son is a regular reader of MM so as to see the "Utard" word used, then he read the places it is used and should get why

Forth. I tell my boys that when they are in a group of dudes, if men give you ****, its because they accept you as being part of the group. If they ignore you they dont.

Last. Are we really going to start word policing in hunting? Do I need to apologize to the flatbrimmers? The supplement junkies? The Tacoma crowd? The 6.5 manbun fellas?
Word vomit

Sir, I sure hope he learned a good lesson that day. Just think if you had not been there to help, wanton waste comes to mind.

This is going to hurt.

Bess is correct.(ouch)

Sad part is I’m in my Tacoma today and read the flat brim Tacoma comment and said **** that’s me. Thank god I wasn’t drinking mtn ops enduro ????

I hear you, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they arent doing it intentionally, but my son and I experienced quite a bit of this last weekend in New Mexico. We had 2 different stalks ruined by guys flying up past us and going around us in trucks to get a shot before we could get in position on foot. One of them might not have seen us, but I know for a fact the 2nd one did. We met eyes through binoculars while we were up on the ridge and they were down on the road, lol Really bothered my son which I decided was a good experience for us, as hopefully being on that end of it will teach him some respect and courtesy for others as he spends more time in the woods.

Pretty typical of guided hunts in NM.

Sorry to hear...

My Tacoma, is my go to,, only take the Ford if their are women along.

Over the years I have not run into many hunters that were jerks,, anywhere.

This is just another reason why I prefer to hike my hind parts off to get away from other hunters. Its amazing how few people you see just a few miles from the road...

This is just another reason why I prefer to hike my hind parts off to get away from other hunters. Its amazing how few people you see just a few miles from the road...
I was about as far away as I could get from a road in every possible direction. I blame the backcountry solo badasses on insta for encouraging everyone that this is the only cool way to hunt. 10 years ago I wouldn’t see another bowhunter the entire season in this area. Now you are combat bowhunting opening weekend.

I was about as far away as I could get from a road in every possible direction. I blame the backcountry solo badasses on insta for encouraging everyone that this is the only cool way to hunt. 10 years ago I wouldn’t see another bowhunter the entire season in this area. Now you are combat bowhunting opening weekend.
Wow, that's surprising. Most hunters I encounter can't find their way off the back of their ATVs/Side-by-sides...

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom