Pronghorn hunt

74Superlead

My wife and I both drew Pronghorn hunts in August. I am debating whether to shoot 7mm rem mag or 30-06. My wife will shoot her .308.

Question is this:
I intend on loading rounds. I was thinking 120gr for the 7mm mag and 125gr for the 30 calibers. Any thoughts?

Shoot whatever you normally shoot.
I shoot 150 grain HotCor bullets in 30-06 for deer and antelope and will be using the same load for my sheep hunt. No need to switch any up.

No thoughts other than all of your choices are more than adequate for antelope. Pretty much anything that you can shoot accurately to about 300-400 yards will be fine.

I killed my first antelope with a 7mm remington mag with a 150 grain core-lock. Dead center gut shot from 150 yards, fell over and died right where he stood. Like diablo said, don't over think it. Shoot what you are most accurate with. Heavier bullets may fly better in the wind.

Same scopes? I have both and have used both on goats but prefer the 7mm just because i have a better scope on it. If I had the same scope on my 270 I would probably use it.

I use the same 300 WSM and 150 grain nosler ballistic tips for all species (elk, deer, antelope, sheep mtn goat, moose). When I pull the trigger I know its a dead! I usually try to stalk inside of 300 yards. Most of the bucks I've shot over the years are around 100 to 200 yards.

With antelope, and pretty much any other animal, shot placement is way more important than caliber. Shoot whatever rifle/load that you shoot best. ----SS

My wife and I both drew Pronghorn hunts in August. I am debating whether to shoot 7mm rem mag or 30-06. My wife will shoot her .308.

Question is this:
I intend on loading rounds. I was thinking 120gr for the 7mm mag and 125gr for the 30 calibers. Any thoughts?
All that’s been said previously and..... there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions.

Antelope hunting is about as fun a hunt as there is. Expect to have a great time with your wife.

And, just in case you are wondering...... some of us think pronghorn tastes great. Try not to run it’s legs off and get it’s body heat fired up. Gut it as soon as possible. Keep the hair off the meat as much as possible. The hair is very bad smelling. Fill it’s body cavity with bags of ice as soon as you get the guts out. Then get it to a butcher or into a into some kind of cooler as quickly as possible. If in doubt, pull off a back strap, slice it into medalion sized pieces, a 1/4” thick. Season with your favorite Seasoning Salt. Heat your frying pan, really hot. Put a 1/16” of oil in it and fry your antelope medallions, medium rare. Eat it right straight from the frying pan.......... Amazing!

My girlfriend and I went on our first pronghorn hunt last year in WY. She has 7mm-08 and I have a 7mm Rem Mag. I load 140 grain in both. She shot from 215 yards and my shot the next day was 85 yards. As I pulled the trigger, I wished I had grabbed her rifle instead of mine.

Be ready for the longer shots but remember that it might not be one at the same time.

Those seem like light bullet weights for the respective calibers. Seems like 150 for both would give you better stability and less affected by wind.

Antelope are small and don't have much reputation for sucking up lead. Preparing is half the fun, so if you feel like trying something other than your pet load, have at it.
Mostly I'd recommend not shooting the first buck you see and look at lots before pulling the trigger. My first half dozen antelope hunts ended on the first day. Now I keep my gun cased until day 3 or 4 just to extend the excitement.
Have a blast!

Used a .243 to 300 win mag. They all work. Used to think the elk round was too big. Nope. Works great and no changing bullets. Now my 180 bullets for everything. Have a 28 nosler I’m going to try this year.

Took my wife to the range a few weeks ago to shoot the 6.5 cm and the 28 nosler. I thought she would like the 6.5 better but was surprised she thought the 28 kicked the same (it does have a brake) and when she rang the 12" steel plate at 550 yards she decided that would be the gun she carries on her Oregon antelope hunt.

Shot my first with a .338 win mag 225grn, went clean through. Shortest hunt ever. Loaded up by truck, waited for good shooting light, crested ridge, big buck lope at bottom of draw, threw lope over shoulder, back home by 8am.

Question is this:
I never change the bullets I shoot for deer/elk/pronghorn. I'll shoot all three species with 150 gr to 180 gr bullets out of my 30-06 based on whatever I have in the safe and whatever is most accurate.

I used a 140 gr sierra SBT, muzzle velocity of 3150 in my 280AI. Definitely did a lot of damage on avatar buck and ruined the cape. I chose it because I knew it's ballistics and had a very accurate load already worked up. If I had all the time in the world, I might have chosen the 130 SBT- a solid bullet for lighter big game. I personally would avoid anything bigger than those since I want expansion in a shorter distance than I would if hunting big deer or elk.

I love antelope backstrap with bacon grease, onion, halapino peppers, and some spuds! Good luck on your hunt. I'd make her shoot your 6.5 CM that gun is the shizzle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom