Pronghorn Unit 91 or 95?

5yearcoueshunter

Hello,
Looking for recommendations on a Pronghorn unit for my 73 year old Dad. Based on his point total, thinking about units 91 or 95 in the special draw and would appreciate any input. Looking at which unit has a better shot at a high 70s buck. I'm from NM so would be happy to trade info on any species, I've hunted them all here. PM would be preferred rather than input on the public forum.

Thanks!

Flip a coin. Both have comparable trophy quality and both could produce a B&C buck. Perhaps on good moisture years, 95 may have a slight edge. If your going to hotel/motel the hunt, 95 may be closer to more amenities. For 91, you may want to camp out. Both will be a fun hunt and can easily accommodate your dad's abilities.

Flip a coin. Both have comparable trophy quality and both could produce a B&C buck. Perhaps on good moisture years, 95 may have a slight edge. If your going to hotel/motel the hunt, 95 may be closer to more amenities. For 91, you may want to camp out. Both will be a fun hunt and can easily accommodate your dad's abilities.
Thank you for the input! Right now, which unit has had better moisture? I think pronghorn should be mostly done growing their horns by now anyway. Also wouldn't mind bagging a Sage Grouse, any thoughts on which unit would be better for finding a few birds?

Just came thru both 90 and 91 two weeks ago, on my way from Rock Springs to Pinedale and on home to Idaho. Timing was perfect in late afternoon with the sun shining, and saw large numbers of antelope, and some really nice bucks. They came thru the winter in great shape. Can't say anything about 95 for you. Sorry.

Just came thru both 90 and 91 two weeks ago, on my way from Rock Springs to Pinedale and on home to Idaho. Timing was perfect in late afternoon with the sun shining, and saw large numbers of antelope, and some really nice bucks. They came thru the winter in great shape. Can't say anything about 95 for you. Sorry.
Good to know, thank you!

Terrible photos. But helped a first year hunter kill this buck in 95 last year. This buck is what I would consider top two percent size wise in that area.

02D9C160-A7EA-423B-99F8-EB6864E1C9A0.jpeg

ED3A0818-D425-48D3-B032-AF09FF972630.jpeg

Can't tell you about 91, but 95 has what you want. 95 winters have been kinda bad before this winter, so finding a 3 year old buck might be a little tough. You'll stay busy glassing.

Also, large numbers of antelope that Blank saw could well have been migrating through that time of year in 91. April is usually when that happens. I've hunted 95 several times, but never 91. I killed this buck in 95 last time I had that tag. He greened just over 80 with his short prongs. Mid to high 70's should be doable in either unit.

IMG_5086 copy.jpg

Moisture isn't much different in either right now. Last report I saw said 77% of normal in both areas. Hold tight for another 10 days and see if it changes. But I'm gonna say flip a coin and it will depend on your lodging requirements.

py

Can't tell you about 91, but 95 has what you want. 95 winters have been kinda bad before this winter, so finding a 3 year old buck might be a little tough. You'll stay busy glassing.

Also, large numbers of antelope that Blank saw could well have been migrating through that time of year in 91. April is usually when that happens. I've hunted 95 several times, but never 91. I killed this buck in 95 last time I had that tag. He greened just over 80 with his short prongs. Mid to high 70's should be doable in either unit.

View attachment 76110
Awesome buck! Thanks for your input!

Moisture isn't much different in either right now. Last report I saw said 77% of normal in both areas. Hold tight for another 10 days and see if it changes. But I'm gonna say flip a coin and it will depend on your lodging requirements.

py
Thanks for your input! We'll be remote camping, so don't need to be close to hotels. I guess if it's a true flip of the coin, I would rather pick the area that has some trees to camp and better sage grouse numbers. However, if there is even a slight edge of bigger bucks in one unit then the other, I'd go with that one.

Not very many trees in 95 but I've seen some nice bucks. 91 in the prospect mountains/wind river front has a few trees. Quality is going to be about the same in both areas from my experience.

At the Game and Fish season setting meeting, one of the game wardens showed me a pic of a buck taken in area 95 last fall. He said it was the best buck he's ever checked in that area. It was in the 88-90 point range. He said that's where he's been applying, but the draw odds are around 15% for residents.

At the Game and Fish season setting meeting, one of the game wardens showed me a pic of a buck taken in area 95 last fall. He said it was the best buck he's ever checked in that area. It was in the 88-90 point range. He said that's where he's been applying, but the draw odds are around 15% for residents.
Wow, thanks for the info!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom