Pronghorn's smell

alsatian

Does anyone know why pronghorn antelope smell so bad? My son and I took two near Gillette, Wyoming, about a week ago. I loaded them onto a plastic tarp in my wife's SUV to keep the blood off things, but they smelled so bad I was afraid the smell would remain in the carpet of the SUV. This doesn't seem to be the case. What is the deal? Why are they so odiferous?

Glands, and lots of 'em. The Pronghorn has rump glands, glands between the toes on each foot (interdigital glands), cheek glands (subauricular glands)(bucks only), median gland on rearward center of their backs, and glandular regions on their hocks. The glands are thought to be tied to things like sexual attraction, identification, and even hoof conditoning.

I personally like the smell, which is probably a plus as a taxidermist. :)

MtnMemories:

I guess I like the smell alright, as the smell of victory, successful completion of the hunt, wild nature. On the other hand, I was glad that pronghorn smell did not linger after I cleaned out my wife's new Chevy Suburban or this would have been my last hunting trip in that vehicle!

The antelope I shot in WY on Oct. 1st didn't smell at all, or at least it wasn't that noticable. I was surprised. My wife even cuddled in next to it for a picture and she didn't say much about it.
BUT, I had a buddy shoot one in ND on the 15th of Oct. and WOW that thing was about as rank as anything I've ever whiffed before!!!
I have heard many reasons for this, don't know what is true or not. I do agree the glands account for some/most of it, just not sure why they differ from animal to animal.

Lien2

A trick I learned a long time ago is to skin the antelope first then gut it. I wash the game down with vineagar and water and dry the antelope off. I made a skinning pole that fits into my truck reciever hitch. This enables me to skin the animal as soon as possible.

They have always reminded me of the smell of buttered popcorn. Those cheek glands must have some oily secretions.

I've killed some from Wyo. that were as rank as a skunk....then some from Nevada that were actually quite edible. Take and put some antelope meat in the crockpot with a bottle of red wine...slow cook for about 3 hours, drain off the wine, throw away the meat and drink the wine. Same goes for sage hens...lol
Just kiddin'...I actually like speedgoat, just seems to make better jerky than anything.

The lope I got this year was cleaned & skinned right away. It had no smell at all....Until I cooked some. Smelled a little gamey but it sure tasted good.

They do stink. I was very surprised at the pleasant taste of the backstrap of my first one. I figured if they smelled that bad they must taste worse!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]Whine, whine whine....Pronghorns smell a lot better than some people you'll meet waiting in a check out lane.

Never ever immediately skin an antelope or any other game in the field, unless you want a piece of sunbaked, dried, dusty, dirty jerky. Theres no better game bag made than the natural hide of the animal.

The cheek gland gives off the strongest odor. When you see a buck seemingly raking a sage with his horns look a little closer, they are also actually rubbing their cheek patch on the sage marking their scent.

Harvesting your animal in a peaceful setting with a quick one shot kill and properly caring for the carcass will provide you with table fare fit for a king.

Chase one around all afternoon, gut shoot it, chase it some more then clean it and drag it around in the back of a pickup all day long on dusty roads in the heat of day and you'll swear the critters were never meant to be eaten.

Agree to disagree. Get that hide off and get that clean meat into a nice clean BREATHABLE game bag, so that meat can cool off. Processing your game correctly is the key to tasty meat. Thats the difference between gamey venison, and oh, what kind of meat is this. its awesome.!!!!

I agree with boneaddict. Get the hide off and keep it cool and DRY as soon as possible. It's amazing how quick bacteria forms in warm meat that no longer has a defense mechanism.

BOHNTR )))---------->

doing some research for a novel and need to know what a live pronghorn smells like up close (say perhaps if you were doing a round up)?

I am closing my eyes and trying to “remember” the smell. How does one describe any complex
smell? The phrase I am settling on is sagey/earthy/wet dog fur

But its not a bad smell. And that description might not make sense to others or even resonate even with me the next time I encounter it. But it puts my thoughts in the right “zone”.

I tried the liver from the last antelope I shot - TERRIBLE - but the meat from
the same animal is DELICIOUS!! It was skinned and bagged immediatley and on and ice within the hour.

I am closing my eyes and trying to “remember” the smell. How does one describe any complex
smell? The phrase I am settling on is sagey/earthy/wet dog fur

But its not a bad smell. And that description might not make sense to others or even resonate even with me the next time I encounter it. But it puts my thoughts in the right “zone”.

I tried the liver from the last antelope I shot - TERRIBLE - but the meat from
the same animal is DELICIOUS!! It was skinned and bagged immediatley and on and ice within the hour.
Katoom,

Many thanks! I can imagine it and am delighted to be able to work your description into my novel. When I was researching possible animals to import as livestock to Mars I discovered pronghorn have a large respiratory system which would make them a good candidate. I just assumed they'd taste good, especially since antelope are a good food source in many African nations. Many, many thanks for helping with my research. Little details like this have to come from personal experience.

Cparsons

If you want to easily experience for yourself, the soap used in McDonald's bathrooms smells almost exactly like an antelope. I imagine it will be a while before there are McDonalds on Mars though.

Awesome! I will definitely check it out. And if Bezos and Musk have their way, there might be McDonalds sooner than we expect. Again, many thanks!

Katoom,

Many thanks! I can imagine it and am delighted to be able to work your description into my novel. When I was researching possible animals to import as livestock to Mars I discovered pronghorn have a large respiratory system which would make them a good candidate. I just assumed they'd taste good, especially since antelope are a good food source in many African nations. Many, many thanks for helping with my research. Little details like this have to come from personal experience.

Cparsons
I really like the taste of antelope meat. The smell...... I don’t care for all, not even a little, from Alberta, Idaho, Wyoming or Utah.

The American antelope is actually a pronghorn, apparently it is in no way related to an of the true antelope species from African. It neither smells nor tastes nothing like any African antelope I’ve ever eaten....... African antelope I’ve eat had no, noda, any wild North American big game animal taste. To me African antelope are superior in taste, to all North American wild game. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
A 17 year old thread dug up to ask people what a "live" pronghorn smells like for research on a sci-fi book that includes importing livestock to Mars. I see NYT bestseller in your future... looking forward to the movie. Anyone smell a pronghorn that wasn't dead?

Anyone smell a pronghorn that wasn't dead?
No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

jungle_man.gif

Thanks guys for all the insight and info. I had no idea US pronghorn were different than the African species. Good to know! Just in case anyone is interested (it won't hurt my feelings if you aren't), here's the link for the Mars novels https://cjparsons.wordpress.com/my-books/

So is the stink part a usual smell, just during mating season, or just after shooting and butchering?

I may have to drop back here to ask for help in butchering one ;)

A 17 year old thread dug up to ask people what a "live" pronghorn smells like for research on a sci-fi book that includes importing livestock to Mars. I see NYT bestseller in your future... looking forward to the movie. Anyone smell a pronghorn that wasn't dead?
??? I heard live smells a lot like a wetmule. ?

I'v had such great times antelope hunting, I've come to look forward to the smell. How to describe it? Let's say sorta like a real spicey version of deer or elk?

It’s a distinctive, musky smell.
It’s quite pungent and some find it repulsive ...but like others, I find it uniquely victorious.
The meat of a pronghorn is my wife’s favorite. Dall sheep on a willow fire is my favorite but it might have more to do with the setting than the flesh.
I too get the hide off quickly but since I’ve always done that, I can only conjecture that it help with the table fare.??‍♂️ I’ll keep doing it because it works for me.

There, that’s as diplomatic as I can be.
Zeke

Thanks guys for all the insight and info. I had no idea US pronghorn were different than the African species. Good to know! Just in case anyone is interested (it won't hurt my feelings if you aren't), here's the link for the Mars novels https://cjparsons.wordpress.com/my-books/

So is the stink part a usual smell, just during mating season, or just after shooting and butchering?

I may have to drop back here to ask for help in butchering one ;)
lol....who saw a link coming?.......well done

You guys are awesome, a great source of description for a writer. You all have given me a good selection of adjectives I can use. In all my efforts to obtain first hand information about animals, this has been the most helpful website. I should learn to ask hunters first, lol. Again, thanks!

lol....who saw a link coming?.......well done
Homer, I'm usually a pretty shy person and don't always promote my work, but when I get a comment like the one from wetmule, it makes my day. I wish I was able to intelligently discuss hunting with you guys. this sounds like a fun forum.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom