Protections reinstated for gray wolf in Idaho&Montana

swampmule

HELENA, Mont. ? A federal judge on Thursday reinstated Endangered Species Act protections for wolves in Montana and Idaho, saying the government made a political decision in removing the protections from just two of the three states where Rocky Mountain wolves roam.

U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy said in his ruling that the entire Rocky Mountain wolf population either must be listed as an endangered species or removed from the list, but the protections for the same population can't be different for each state.

Last year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service turned over wolf management to Montana and Idaho wildlife officials but left federal endangered species protections in place for wolves in Wyoming, where state law is considered hostile to the animals' survival.

"Even if the Service's solution is pragmatic, or even practical, it is at its heart a political solution that does not comply with the ESA," Molloy wrote in his ruling.

Defenders of Wildlife, the Greater Yellowstone Coalition and other wildlife advocates sued the federal government after the Fish and Wildlife Service decision in April 2009. They argued that the government's decision would have set a precedent allowing the government to arbitrarily choose which animals should be protected and where.

The decision puts a halt to wolf hunts in Montana and Idaho planned for this fall. Montana wildlife regulators last month set the wolf-hunt quota at 186, more than doubling last year's number, with the aim of reducing the state's wolf population.

Gray wolves were listed as endangered in 1974, but following a reintroduction program in the mid-1990s, there are now more than 1,700 in the Northern Rockies.

Doug Honnold, an attorney for EarthJustice representing the plaintiffs, said he was gratified by the ruling, though he is sure there will be another chapter to the story.

"For today, we are celebrating that the approach we thought was flatly illegal has been rejected. The troubling consequences for the Endangered Species Act has been averted and the wolf hunts are blocked," Honnold said.

Someone should explain to Mr. Honnold that Earthjustice does not have enough members to block the wolf hunts. S-S-S or in certain cases shoot, smash (the collar), shovel, and shutup.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-10 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]I hope you know that ID fish & game monitors this site very closely Sheldon...

just sayin'

So did you want me to say Earthjustice and IDF&G don't have enough members...

Seriously - they have signed lots of wolf death warrants in ID, MT, WY, UT, and OR by constantly moving the goal line. Obviously wolf recovery is not the goal. Next up - sage grouse - the upland mascot which will be abused by the ESA so fringe can gain control over western lands and what you and I do on it.

And that's the truth BC. Sage Grouse in the deserts and the Grizzly in the wilderness.The wolves were just the first foot in the door. HELL IN A HAND BASKET. That's all I have to say about that.

wyoming needs to get their stuff together, they just cost us alot of game animals.

I don't think its the feds we need to be mad at now, the feds all want the wolf delisted, they also wanted the grizzly bear delisted but its the tree hugging enviros who are pushing it. Kind of crazy that paid biologist who are extremly capable are overridden by one judge who has never taken a wildlife management class in his life.

Exactly. One federal judge. If you can't legislate, adjudicate. Minority rule through the courts.

This is seems to be what is driving this issue.
I think a lot of "normal" people are being pushed to the breaking point on these issues.

>I don't think its the feds
>we need to be mad
>at now, the feds all
>want the wolf delisted, they
>also wanted the grizzly bear
>delisted but its the tree
>hugging enviros who are pushing
>it. Kind of crazy that
>paid biologist who are extremly
>capable are overridden by one
>judge who has never taken
>a wildlife management class in
>his life.

I want to know who feeds these judges information (or motivation...$$$$) leading them to make these irrational-mildly retarded decisions. What the hell do they know about game management. All they know is how to spend the money the "anti's" are giving them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom