Provo Big Horn Sheep- Mixing with domestic sheep

MountainTime

I received a unique call from the Utah DWR on Friday explaining that they were issuing Big Horn sheep depredation tag to me as I was on the alternate list for the closest open unit. Apparently a big horn ewe was hit near Rainbow Bay (South side) on Deer creek on thrusday 5/23. A report was called into the DWR saying that there was a lamb and a Ram with the Ewe.

Given the obvious danger of the sheep mixing with the domestic sheep (There are domestic sheep in the area) and then returning to the already struggling Provo herd they need to kill these sheep ASAP. They would like to give the opportunity to a hunter to harvest the Ram if possible.

I was hoping that anyone traveling through that area could keep a look out for any big horns and pass the information along to the DWR or myself.

Feel free to post any relevant information here or PM me.

Wow,
I have never heard of the division issuing tags like that. I know they have actually killed diseased sheep, but I think that is a step in the right direction, offering the opportunity to someone who might want to actually fill a tag.
I would post this question on the Sheep section and you might get more response from those more interested in sheep. I will certainly keep my eye out because I will be doing some work up in Heber the next few weeks.
Best of luck.

Places to look.
1) The peninsula between Rainbow bay and Wallsburg bay(mainly the steep open South facing side)
2) the open slopes across the highway from Rainbow bay
3) the open slopes just East of the island, which is just North of Rainbow Bay.

If this ram heads back towards Timp., it will take a miracle to find it.
Good luck to all those involved.

If you take the tag and dont locate the ram is it tag soup and points lost?

Seems like a huge gamble. What if the ram is subpar?

I would pass on the tag, they are putting you into a corner if you take the tag.

Unless you only have a couple points or dont eat tag soup I wouldnt do it.

The DWR is being very reasonable about this in my book. It's up to me whether or not I want to harvest the ram if we can find it. If we can't find then my points will be restored. They realize that there is a possibility that the report was erroneous or that the sheep have left the area all together.

I think it's rather forward thinking. If the sheep is located again they already have a hunter ready and willing to harvest it, rather than just kill it themselves. If it's an immature ram or just ewes they will take care of it.

I find the reasoning by DWR, as described by MountainTime, a positive attempt to solve a significant potential problem by giving a hunter the opportunity to take a ram.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I applaud the division for going out of their way to allow a hunter to take this ram. I hope it all goes well and you are able to harvest him.

Take out more than you brought in!

I like the change in policy by the DWR. A couple of years ago I understand the DWR shot 3 Desert Rams that were living in Sunglow Basin north of Bicknell because of close proximity to domestics. A step in the right direction would have been for sportsmen to take them with a depredation tag. An even better move would have been for DWR to change the OLT permit rules to One Harvest in a Lifetime and call the 3 oldest living past permit holders who were unsuccessful on their hunts to come in under Division supervision and Harvest the Rams.

Outstanding decision by the DWR. It seems to demonstrates an effort by the agency to respond to sportsmen's requests to be given hunting opportunities when these situations occur. It could be for other reasons but there have been numerous times, in the last year, where the DWR has seemed to be willing to try to work more closely with sportsmen on these kinds of things.

I hope you kill the ram and furthermore, I hope he's a good one.

And to whomever at the DWR made the decision to give this hunter a try, thank you, I hope your effort proves successful. We appreciate it.

DC

I was doing work in Heber during the whole month of June and drove that road every morning and afternoon. I told my workers I would pay them $50 if they spotted it, but no luck. There was a whole herd of domestics on that mountain most of the time, so you know that ram was exposed. Great move by the DWR, but I don't think he has been found.
Tough to find one solitary ram with a wander lust, but he needs to bit the dust.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom