Provo Canyon Bull

slamdunk

Screenshot_20230214_144230_Facebook.jpg

Took this off a private Facebook page.
Just below Deer Creek Dam.
Hope he didn't jump!!

Serendipity……… too many bulls anyway………….. they say. I’m sure the meat was all saved and used to feed the homeless.

Really?
How do you safely net, tie up and transport a wild bull elk and keep him on a small ledge while doing so?
I love back seat drivers when I'm at the wheel.

Several years ago I also saw ledged-out bulls in Price canyon as well. Their fate was no different.
There are bulls right here all the time. I live at the mouth of Provo canyon where this bull is located. They move back and forth from Sundance Canyon to Provo canyon all the time. Right above that elk is scrub oak. They literally walk back and forth all the time.
Get on google earth and look at the terrain in 2 areas, right after the tunnels, and right before the sundance turnoff. Those are the 2 ledgy spots on that road.

I love back seat driver too, that always assume.

There are bulls right here all the time. I live at the mouth of Provo canyon where this bull is located. They move back and forth from Sundance Canyon to Provo canyon all the time. Right above that elk is scrub oak. They literally walk back and forth all the time.
Get on google earth and look at the terrain in 2 areas, right after the tunnels, and right before the sundance turnoff. Those are the 2 ledgy spots on that road.

I love back seat driver too, that always assume.
Are you going to scare him back up the cliff to that scrub oak?
Screenshot_20230215_111107_Gallery.jpg

Are you going to scare him back up the cliff to that scrub oak?
View attachment 103198
Yep, another view of the bull. Looks like he could get up where he got down. Should be fine. I still dont understand what all the hype is from this bull? Or the location. This isnt the 1st time. I bet its only because of all the hype on the shed closure so people are trying to "PROVE" a point. Damn, what would happen if we have a few normal winters in a row?

Yep, another view of the bull. Looks like he could get up where he got down. Should be fine. I still dont understand what all the hype is from this bull? Or the location. This isnt the 1st time. I bet its only because of all the hype on the shed closure so people are trying to "PROVE" a point. Damn, what would happen if we have a few normal winters in a row?
If you think that bull could have been pushed by humans back up through the sheer cliffy ice, then your logic is completely in line with your banter......

Well!

Just think!

If PUNK Still Had The SKULL KRAZY Rig He Coulda Just Backed Up To The Ledge & The Bull Coulda Jumped in the Back Without Even Getting Hurt!:D

That bull was stranded on that cliff for 6 straight days.
Nothing to eat, nothing to drink, already hungry and worn out from fighting the deep snows for the past two months, and robiland thinks they could have simply forced this bull up through the cliffs and ice to safety.......SMH ?

As mentioned above, this is obviously a repetitive issue and should be looked at for a possible diversion in the future.

It sucks they had to put him down under control, but it's better than him falling on his own and out into the road into high speed traffic causing a much worse scenario.

I feel they should of had a vet or a disable person harvest it. They could have stop traffic and had them kill it. Or atleast someone that would never had an opportunity to harvest one of the magnificent creatures.

Does the Division possess a list of those vets or disabled persons that they have on the ready that can report up Provo Canyon within minutes to participate?

The criticism on this one is a bit baffling to me. I’m not one shy to criticize how things work here in Utah, but if I created a list of the top 100 things I didn’t agree with, this action on this one bull would certainly not make the list. Maybe if I increased it to a top 1,000? But even then, I’m not sure.

It’s wild that people other than tree-huggin antis that pretend to care about everything even care about this action. Seems like a complete no-brainer to me what they did.

Does the Division possess a list of those vets or disabled persons that they have on the ready that can report up Provo Canyon within minutes to participate?

The criticism on this one is a bit baffling to me. I’m not one shy to criticize how things work here in Utah, but if I created a list of the top 100 things I didn’t agree with, this action on this one bull would certainly not make the list. Maybe if I increased it to a top 1,000? But even then, I’m not sure.

It’s wild that people other than tree-huggin antis that pretend to care about everything even care about this action. Seems like a complete no-brainer to me what they did.
According to Slammy, they have been watching that bull for 6 days. I am sure they could have got someone in 6 days up there to harvest that bull. Apparently they needed to kill it, so it didnt starve to death infront of everyone. But what about all the other animals? Just saying.

I've got watched the division shoot bulls that were "too wounded" to make it. Of course that was three years after the bull got wounded.

Seen them shoot a bunch of "nuisance" deer.

So while I can't say specifically "this bull", it's not lost on me that according to slam, they had 5 days to try something.

If it happens in the same spot alot maybe they can have a special draw for Handicap hunters take those bulls BEFORE they are sitting up there for a week without food.

Just Wait For The:

"We Wanna Take Provo Canyon Back To It's Original State So These Poor Animals Don't Get In These Situations That Were Introduced By Poor Engineering of a RoadWay!"

Where the hell do you guys come up with these ideas? These comments honestly read like your average non hunting citizen chiming in. The bull was starving to death, and a potential danger to the general public if he jumped off the ledge. I’m all for calling the DNR out if need be, but they made the right call here.

I’d EcHo those sentiments that it may not even shed, to bad the CWMU/DNR up here have wiped out every mountain lion over 40 pounds or at least one could’ve finish him off by now. That poor bull looks like an intermittent fasting Ethiopian.

Actually that elk is all skin and bones from all the people out looking on the winter range for next years gov tag bucks! Gotta raise that money for the MDF! #conservation

You don’t set records at the auctions if you don’t know what’s out there. #poundthewinterrange

And sorry @slamdunk its not shed hunters looking for the gov buck!

I’d EcHo those sentiments that it may not even shed, to bad the CWMU/DNR up here have wiped out every mountain lion over 40 pounds or at least one could’ve finish him off by now. That poor bull looks like an intermittent fasting Ethiopian.
I hope you're joking about that and the mountain lions. Wasatch front has so many lions. I talked to a guy working for the dwr, and have collard a lot of lions. They think there are way more lions on the front than they even thought.

I hope you're joking about that and the mountain lions. Wasatch front has so many lions. I talked to a guy working for the dwr, and have collard a lot of lions. They think there are way more lions on the front than they even thought.
I was referring to the recent decimation of lions on Morgan/South Rich/ Chalk Creek kamas lion units where the poor ribbed out bastardzz bull is about about dead. I couldn’t agree with you more there is a shidd ton of lions throughout the wasatch front.

Yes, you are 100% spot on with this one.

We probably have the same friend who collars cats, he told me he's got 21 collared lions from the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon across to Draper.
21!!?

Reminds me of this bull I found a few years ago.
Screenshot_20230217_194851_Instagram.jpg

Hebwas only 15 yards off the road.
He was still alive but couldn't get up. I called fish and game but they didn't have anyone in the area and couldn't for the rest of the day, they wouldn't let me do anything about it either. I left and a few hours later when I drove back by he was dead.

Dwr finally showed up after dark to process his death. But they did let me keep the antlers. Said he was super old and had no teeth left.

View attachment 103450

He was still alive but couldn't get up. I called fish and game but they didn't have anyone in the area and couldn't for the rest of the day, they wouldn't let me do anything about it either. I left and a few hours later when I drove back by he was dead.

Dwr finally showed up after dark to process his death. But they did let me keep the antlers. Said he was super old and had no teeth left.
If only there was a shed law then he would still be with us…. RIP.

View attachment 103450

Wait.....you mean he was old but not 400"?
Impossible!!?

Somehow He Survived The Spike Hunt!

View attachment 103450

Here's a video of him being shot by the dwr.
(sorry about my cursor.)

Attachments

• provoBull2023.mov
    43.9 MB
Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom