PSA: Unit 34 3rd Deer

Buckjunkie

If you're putting unit 34 3rd down as a 3rd or 4th choice, I would think twice. I have hunted in 9 units in Colorado and this is by far the worst I have seen. Sure, we drew this on a 3rd choice so we shouldn't expect much, but even finding a single deer is tough. 6 miles on the boots yesterday, 5+ hours of glassing and not a deer. We saw two forkies on Saturday. All the areas the biologist told us to try are inaccessible unless you have a tracked vehicle or a snow machine.

My two cents, take it for what its worth.

I hunted the unit during 2nd rifle. I drew the buck tag on my 4th choice, on the leftover draw. So, definitely not my first choice! Anyways, I was only able to hunt 3 and a half days, but I covered a TON of country by foot and didn't see squat.

I've only ever hunted the unit one other time with a 4th rifle cow tag, so I account part of my poor luck to inexperience with the unit. Good luck the rest of the week.

Did it get better? I got a 3rd choice 34 3rd too this year but turned it for a refund a couple days before the season in because I sprained my ankle really badly.

No. If it snows alot like this year a guy needs a snowmobile or tracked vehicle to get out where the deer were supposed to be. If I was to ever hunt this unit again (not likely) I would hunt 2nd season and hope it doesn't snow much. You have to get up high and hunt down in with few exceptions.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom