Public Comment on giving kids/grandkids OIL tags

kimbersig

I'm sure this will cause a lot of debate and contention, Hell it would take our minds off waiting for draw result!! IDFG is seeking public comment on many issues. One being the rule allowing parents/grandparents to give an OIL tag to their kid/grandkid. whatever your belief is you should go enter public comments and be heard. I for one am opposed to it most of the time as i have been in line and watched an 80 year old woman apply for a wilderness sheep tag! here is my comment if anyone agrees feel free to copy and paste it.

"Trophy species should not be used to encourage kids to hunt. I fully support antlerless hunts and would be ok with antlerless moose being allowed to be given to a child/grandchild. A suitable compromise would be to add a rule, that if broken would be a felony, that requires that whoever drew the tag and gives it to the child/grandchild MUST accompany the child/grandchild to the field and be within 500 yards(or any reasonable #) of the child/grandchild. This rule would ensure 80 year olds aren't applying with the only purpose of giving a child/grandchild essentially double the odds."

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-18 AT 06:26PM (MST)[p]I'm okay with eliminating transfers for OIL tags but I wouldn't support making a felony out of non-compliance.

all other major law violations associated with OIL species is already a felony so why not this to make sure people don't cheat?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-18 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]I oppose any tag transfer, not just the OIL. The intent is noble and pure...grandpa draws a great tag, looks back over his 60 years of trophies piled up in the shed and decides to give his tag to his favorite grandkid.

The problem is the abuse as mentioned above.

If the state wants to create special youth draws or allocate tags to youth in some other fair manner...that's how tags should be handled if the desire is to give them more opportunity. But allowing tag transfers is a bad idea that will become abused more and more as people figure it out.

That said, when my kid can hunt in 2 years, if this rule is still in place I absolutely guarantee I will be putting his 4 grandparents and mom (none of whom hunt big game) in for deer, elk, and pronghorn tags. I mean for $160, I will be able to give him 5x the odds on great buck, bull, and pronghorn tags...that's a bargain when you look at non-resident license fees and points.

Good lord...what next?
Like 90% of 80 y/os are going to be afield and within 500 yards of their grandkid.
THIS WILL BE ABUSED...like many other oil tags with Dad "assisting" junior with his kill.

Who comes up with this sh t? Idaho should concentrate more on their ridiculous draw tag situation.

Glad to see there are more people than I expected who see tag transfers like this for exactly what they are--a way for adults to live vicariously through their kids and improve their own chances at drawing a OIL tag. Kids don't recognize the value of these tags, nor do they appreciate them for what they are. Once a tag is transferred, does the OIL designation transfer as well, meaning that the kid can't ever draw that tag again? If so, I would argue that it's very selfish of a parent to take away the opportunity for a 12 yr old to take a sheep later in his/her lifetime when they actually know what they're doing and can do it on their own rather than just being there while dad sets everything up and does everything except pull the trigger(if that's even true).

This comment is funny to me. You mention tag transfer is a bad idea and will get abused then in the next sentence you say you'll put 5 people in for tags for your kid that don't even hunt themselves. Doesn?t that contradict what you just said at the beginning or are you not willing to stand firm on your beliefs.

Why have the stupid transfer of tag rule at all? It just makes an already difficult tag even more difficult. Even worse is allowing a 10 year old to hunt big game in Idaho. Hunting elk or mule deer is not sitting in a box blind over a feeder in a field. If you disagree with my take on 10 year olds, attend a hunters education class full of 9 year olds who will be hunting the upcoming fall. Many literally have coloring books and cannot answer a single question on task. Silly.

Don't lump all young hunters into a lazy disrespectful pile. My son started hunting big game at 11 , shooting high powered rifles much earlier. He's cleanly taken several deer , bear and a cow elk. He obviously lacks experience due to his age , but he takes hunting and shooting very seriously and has a tremendous amount of respect for game and firearms safety.

He's never played video games in his life, they're outlawed in my household.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-18 AT 10:03AM (MST)[p]I personally know of exceptions to the rule. That is just it though. They are exceptions. Very few are ready and it shouldn't mean we lower the age to accommodate them as we are all exposed to the vast majority who have no business hunting big game at age 10 or 11.

And it has nothing to do with being lazy or disrespectful. Most are not mature enough emotionally or physically. Many are not by age 12, but most are. A few are at age 10 or 11, but the majority are not.

Wow pretty shocked with that comment. Who is to say my son is not ready to hunt big game at 10 or even younger. I have been around a lot of different hunters and I am not sure there are not many people I would rather hunt with than my young son. I dont have to hear with complain when it gets hot/cold. I dont have to listen to him complain when when walk hours on hours after whatever we are hunting. I am not worried when I say lets get it done him wanting to go home. The kid is tough as they come and loves to hunt. He successful killed a buck this year in Idaho. I am grateful to Idaho for allow him to hunt. It was a great trip that my dad, son and I will not forget. He has been in the field with me on pretty much any hunt I have done the last 5 years without a worry that he was just a child.
He doesnt play Video games, is a straight A student, can have a conversation with any man, and has a passion for hunting that I have never seen. If he doesnt deserve to hunt I am not many people do.

Now back to the question. No i dont think its right to transfer a tag to someone if you are not part of the hunt and sitting right there when they pull the trigger.

See what it does to the draw odds, every non hunting grandpa/grandma puts in for the draw. ie see Ut.

I don't see it as a contradiction. I oppose bonus point systems, but that doesn't stop me from playing the game in multiple states every year. I'm going to play by the rules that have been created. Just because I do not support this rule does not mean I'm going to sacrifice my kids draw odds while others also use the current rules to up their draw odds. Like I said, for $160 I can basically take his chance of drawing a Unit 45 muley tag from 4% to 22% each year...or a unit 37 bull tag from 14% to 60% each year!

I think its ridiculous to have this system in place and so I hope folks weigh in on the proposal...and frankly, OIL tags are less the issue. At least with those you have to front the tag money, so it gets a little more discouraging to put the whole family in...but for deer, elk, and pronghorn - the cost is relatively low for the substantial increase in draw odds.

This is why if the IDFG wants to provide more opportunity for youth, do so through special tag allocations or some other fair process.

If it weren't for the system being totally abused I think it's a cool idea but the problem is the lack of personal integrity with most people. So since it's legal they'll have every relative possible apply for tags to increase their kids odds of drawing even if they've never hunted or ever plan on hunting. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's right or that you're not taking advantage of the system but that's just my opinion

I would be on board to eliminate the transfer of tags , my son will hunt either way. If he draws a controlled hunt , good for him , if not there's plenty of general season hunting available.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom