Public lands closed

rockymtnhunter

I'm concerned that three counties (Grand, Carbon & Emery) in Utah have closed all public & private lands to camping due to coronavirus concerns. This doesn't bode well for the upcoming hunting seasons if present conditions persist or worsen. Seems like some unreasonable overreach in my view - just when when I thought I'd hook up the camper and hide out (social distance) myself for a few weeks.

A little research and you can take off your tin foil hats. Not a complete shutdown. Just deterring non resident access.

Per the county's Order, camping on public and private lands is only allowed for those "...whose primary residence is within one of the counties." So all of us undesirable & deplorable Utah out-of-county "non-residents" are unwanted. Xenophobia at it's finest!

I just got an email from the state telling me thins is a perfect time to get out and enjoy the great outdoors with fishing their stocked ponds or lakes turkey hunting or shed hunting

I would not hesitate to go. Why even ask? It's not like your trying to camp in central park. Stop at a pay at the pump...fill up then go and self quarantine yourself for 15 days. Then come on back to the real world to see how many tin foil hats you see.

There is a Bear season about to begin and with the law stating that if you don't live in or work in those 3 counties, you cannot camp. Hotels are restricted. Any suggestions on how to go about a hunt when you don't live in the county and have to drive several hours to get there.....As a Utahn.
Turning the tag in will not get a refund or a point. I know we are in unforeseen times and because of that, tough decisions need to be made. With the point system, this would place you at a disadvantage. Just looking for some brainstorming regarding this dilemma?

I've received e-mails from TWRA (TN) and NG&P (NE) reminding me the great outdoors is open for recreation, and an excellent way to social distance myself from others. I'll be scouting, checking trail cams, and setting up a blind tomorrow!

Question is: can you still use state parks? Wish Powell wasn't screwed up with corona-clams

Last edited:
Per the county's Order, camping on public and private lands is only allowed for those "...whose primary residence is within one of the counties." So all of us undesirable & deplorable Utah out-of-county "non-residents" are unwanted. Xenophobia at it's finest!
Rokymtnhunter, you sent me to the dictionary on that one

Powell...Bullfrog, is in Garfield County.

Not sure that the state can make a law that has an affect on federal lands.

San Juan County Colorado (Silverton) just closed to all non-locals. The paper said it was "discussed " with the BLM and USFS. So thats along with San Miguel which closed a couple days ago.

As of this afternoon the Utah state park down the road from my house is packed,,, there is a hot spring trout bite going on there.

I just got an email from Utah division of wildlife resources inviting me to come and enjoy the great outdoors it’s wide-open they say.

So let me get this straight. These counties are closing public BLM and Forest Service land to people who are not residents of those counties. Right? I can understand they don't want a mass exodus from cities coming and setting up large camps and staying for a long time. I can see where state parks have the regulations to allow them to close the parks. I can also see the BLM and Forest Service closing organized campgrounds or high impact recreation areas. But I dont understand why they would not allow dispersed camping or recreation.

San Juan County (Colorado) Sheriff Bruce Conrad has issued a “locals only” policy prohibiting backcountry recreation, including skiing and snowmobiling, on all lands within the county to minimize the chance that first-responders will be called to a backcountry rescue while simultaneously dealing with a COVID-19 pandemic.

“We’re a small community. On a good day, San Juan County has limited search-and-rescue infrastructure and the same people who would be part of a search and rescue are the same EMS personnel who provide services to our community. We don’t want them to be overtaxed,” said DeAnne Gallegos, spokeswoman for San Juan County Emergency Management Office.

The policy, put in place Saturday, allows for local-only and drive-through traffic on U.S. Highway 550 through San Juan County, but it doesn’t allow people to stop to access backcountry destinations in the county.

“We are worried about a high number of out-of-county vehicles parked off Highway 550 for backcountry trips,” Gallegos said. “Now, with COVID-19, our search-and-rescue services are even more limited. We understand the forest is a prime recreational opportunity and with everyone at home it might seem like a good idea to hit the backcountry, but it is our county’s first responders who are responsible for helping people if they get in trouble, and with the current situation we can’t afford to have them pulled away for a backcountry rescue.”

According to a statement from Conrad, vehicles parked on the side of passes on U.S. Highway 550 not registered in San Juan County will be subject to fines and towing.

Conrad discussed his concerns about the high number of out-of-county vehicles parked alongside Highway 550 with the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service , Gallegos said.

Gallegos said the county’s Emergency Management Office was following Sheriff’s Office orders contained within the locals only policy issued by Conrad. Calls to Conrad were not immediately returned Sunday afternoon.

Gallegos said she expects the county to issue another public health order perhaps as soon as Sunday night or perhaps Monday that will ban any new check-ins to county hotels, motels, Airbnbs or vacation rentals.

Moab is ok if it is a day trip. They just don't want to have people staying there or eating in my view and what I've been told.

Courts are closed. Take the ticket. Be nice. Im betting it will go down in flames.

Not sure a county has the jurisdiction to close federal land. Campground maybe, but land? I doubt it.

And I'm really doubting you can pull a locals only on public. Again FS/BLM. State trust lands have different rules.

Courts are closed. Take the ticket. Be nice. Im betting it will go down in flames.

Not sure a county has the jurisdiction to close federal land. Campground maybe, but land? I doubt it.

And I'm really doubting you can pull a locals only on public. Again FS/BLM. State trust lands have different rules.
This is obvious discrimination against Yellow Plates.

Our county is suing the feds over a historic right-of-way that is partially across USFS. uSFS decided it was theirs and started ticketing mixers and lumber trucks who were delivering materials to the cabins being built up in the woods. The county has historically maintained it.

Its currently locked because dummies kept following their gps's up into the drifts and having to be rescued. I hope theres at least one federal employee around to unlock the gates so I can see what winter destroyed this time.

The struggle is real.

I don't think they are claiming authority to close public lands. Just authority to close parking on the roads that provide access to those public lands.

US 550 crossing national forest. Parking on the pullouts (snowmobilers park there) and accessing USFS. Just like every day up there for the last 50 years. Oh, the sheriffs officers around here ride sleds (yes, with flashing lights) also so they know their way around the backcountry.

The question was whether there is any risk to your hunting season. If things don't change around here, I'm leaning toward yes.

US 550 crossing national forest. Parking on the pullouts (snowmobilers park there) and accessing USFS. Just like every day up there for the last 50 years. Oh, the sheriffs officers around here ride sleds (yes, with flashing lights) also so they know their way around the backcountry.

The question was whether there is any risk to your hunting season. If things don't change around here, I'm leaning toward yes.

Not at all worried about my hunting season in CO.

We had planned on going to Moab. Probably won't happen. If I did we would take our own food and water and stay somewhere like green River or tent camp somewhere beside Moab. I feel no danger in the outdoors.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom