Publically thanking SFW

hossblur

Long Time Member
I'm no fan of $fw. But when they do something good, I'm honest. Not my area, and I hope it's a thing that continues onward and more often.

Notice, $fw and the nature conservancy.

Awesome!! And on behalf of sportsmen, THANK YOU(yeah that hurt a little)

I'm no fan of $fw. But when they do something good, I'm honest. Not my area, and I hope it's a thing that continues onward and more often.

Notice, $fw and the nature conservancy.

Awesome!! And on behalf of sportsmen, THANK YOU(yeah that hurt a little)

Both SFW and MDF each contributed 1m each.

SFW gets a lot of flack but they were the ones who purchased all the pheasants from Hatch's in Green River for the youth pheasant hunt last Saturday on the Pahvant.

SFW gets a lot of flack but they were the ones who purchased all the pheasants from Hatch's in Green River for the youth pheasant hunt last Saturday on the Pahvant.

Technically YOU bought them if you played the expo lotto. In fact, YOU did either way, they get "conservation" tags to sell that YOU give them

It's good that they chipped in for this ground, and even further that they teamed up with folks like nature conservancy to achieve like goals.

But having said that, WE have given them $12 million +. Imagine how much more ground the DWR could snag with the $12million.

I'm glad they did this, but we really don't need them

Technically YOU bought them if you played the expo lotto. In fact, YOU did either way, they get "conservation" tags to sell that YOU give them

It's good that they chipped in for this ground, and even further that they teamed up with folks like nature conservancy to achieve like goals.

But having said that, WE have given them $12 million +. Imagine how much more ground the DWR could snag with the $12million.

I'm glad they did this, but we really don't need them

Who are we going to give that 12 million to.
Are "The People" going to go out and do projects on their own free will and reign?
Is the DNR going to do their own banquets, auctions and fundraising events?
How are they going to staff this, with the already short staff??‍♂️

Last edited:
$12 million pays for a few people.

And yeah, somehow I'm thinking the DWR could online auction tags the same way $fw does. The DWR already pays for the staffing at the ticket booths.

Pretty sure the golden tones of John Bair ain't worth the % $fw keeps, at least according to the results from last year's expo that was virtual.

I read the article. How many tags did the nature conservancy get? Did RMEF get hundreds of them?

Further, I've been laying out in Howard Slough/Ogden Bay in the mornings watching swans. Pheasants are getting planted in a DWR F250, by dudes in brown uniform. Seen them several mornings.

Why did $fw need $3.75 per ticket to run the expo that didn't happen?

I actually was biting my tongue, and trying to acknowledge they did something good.

If they continue to buy land, then I will continue to thank them.

But we both know, come February, they will cover that $1millon.

Who are we going to give that 12 million to.
Are "The People" going to go out and do projects on their own free will and reign?
Is the DNR going to do their own banquets, auctions and fundraising events?
How are they going to staff this, with the already short staff??‍♂️
Was that post in jest?

$12 million pays for a few people.

And yeah, somehow I'm thinking the DWR could online auction tags the same way $fw does. The DWR already pays for the staffing at the ticket booths.

Pretty sure the golden tones of John Bair ain't worth the % $fw keeps, at least according to the results from last year's expo that was virtual.

I read the article. How many tags did the nature conservancy get? Did RMEF get hundreds of them?

Further, I've been laying out in Howard Slough/Ogden Bay in the mornings watching swans. Pheasants are getting planted in a DWR F250, by dudes in brown uniform. Seen them several mornings.

Why did $fw need $3.75 per ticket to run the expo that didn't happen?

I actually was biting my tongue, and trying to acknowledge they did something good.

If they continue to buy land, then I will continue to thank them.

But we both know, come February, they will cover that $1millon.
State DWR can not run a system stem like what SFW, MDF and RMEF. Laws prohibited them from running fundraisers and anything they do bring in goes into the coffers of the DNR.

State DWR can not run a system stem like what SFW, MDF and RMEF. Laws prohibited them from running fundraisers and anything they do bring in goes into the coffers of the DNR.

Fundraiser?

You mean selling tags?

Or lotto tags? I know I drop $$ on sportsman's tags.

So the $ goes either to DWR coffers, or a special interest groups? Huh.

I mean the DWR probably couldn't score Lee Greenwood, but we could take our chances.

Probably best to not compare $fw and RMEF on this topic. RMEF somehow could run the tag lotto, without skimming. They aren't the same.

My comment may have been partially in jest I suppose, as I did ask it with a little head shaking sarcasm.

I understand that there are people who dispise the conservation groups out of distrust and some of those entities have earned it.
But my point is, without them, who is going to raise this 12million extra funds to help buy these lands and do all these projects?
People complain about how horrible the DNR is, are we seeing sportsmen volunteering to throw this extra money at them in hopes it gets allocated and used in the right places?

I have posted MDF allocation of funds showing exactly where and how much money has been spent on projects in Utah, funds raised by sportsmen for sportsmen that wouldn't have been raised and put to good use without the MDF.
The DWR wouldn't be a fourth of what they are without the backing of conservation groups.

So "Yes, we DO need them".

My comment may have been partially in jest I suppose, as I did ask it with a little head shaking sarcasm.

I understand that there are people who dispise the conservation groups out of distrust and some of those entities have earned it.
But my point is, without them, who is going to raise this 12million extra funds to help buy these lands and do all these projects?
People complain about how horrible the DNR is, are we seeing sportsmen volunteering to throw this extra money at them in hopes it gets allocated and used in the right places?

I have posted MDF allocation of funds showing exactly where and how much money has been spent on projects in Utah, funds raised by sportsmen for sportsmen that wouldn't have been raised and put to good use without the MDF.
The DWR wouldn't be a fourth of what they are without the backing of conservation groups.

So "Yes, we DO need them".

I walk a wide circle separating MDF from $fw despite them both pimping huge amounts of animals in exchange for cash.

Mainly because you've been as straight as possible on finances.

$fw hasn't.

However. I wonder. Do you thank Parsons or Clyde's when you see them building roads? Why not? YOU pay them to do a job.

YOU pay $fwMdf to do a job. About $2 million a year.

Again. How many tags did the nature conservancy get? Want to compare acres accessible to hunting that they provide, vs $FW/MDF?

Want to compare RMEF vs either? Then compare tag allocation?

I thought it was good several groups came together and ties up land.

But let's get serious about who SHOULD have based on the amount of money WE give them, yearly.

$FW gets paid a ton, to do what they do.

Millions yearly, hires a lot of staff at DWR.

Why does $fw fight(cheat) so hard to keep those tags otherwise.

Hey Hossy!

RMEF Has Became Nothing but a "Yes Man" with BC!

Every F'N Time at The Board Meetings on Votes and I Quote:

We/RMEF Agree with all Proposals recommended by the WB/DWR!

Every Time!

Every F'N Time!

WAFJ!

But again....who is going to just throw millions at the DNR in hopes they do something with it?
They aren't putting on expos, banquets or numerous auctions for this fundraising.
If they were, I would certainly attend ?‍♂️

But again....who is going to just throw millions at the DNR in hopes they do something with it?
They aren't putting on expos, banquets or numerous auctions for this fundraising.
If they were, I would certainly attend ?‍♂️

You really believe you guys would make $$ without the tags at the expo? Really? $3.75 per ticket to cover the costs. If it was a money maker, you wouldn't need that.

The same people will throw money at the tags.

They would do it if Trout Unlimited had them. The tags ARE THE SHOW.

So yeah, the DWR could set up an online auction, same as $fw did.

You act like an 80's country singer, John Bair, and THE DON have magical powers.

The underhanded, backdoor way that $fw/MDF fought so damn hard to keep the tags, only supports what I'm saying.

I'm old enough to remember $fw before they got those tags. When they were raffling guns.

You really believe you guys would make $$ without the tags at the expo? Really? $3.75 per ticket to cover the costs. If it was a money maker, you wouldn't need that.

The same people will throw money at the tags.

They would do it if Trout Unlimited had them. The tags ARE THE SHOW.

So yeah, the DWR could set up an online auction, same as $fw did.

You act like an 80's country singer, John Bair, and THE DON have magical powers.

The underhanded, backdoor way that $fw/MDF fought so damn hard to keep the tags, only supports what I'm saying.

I'm old enough to remember $fw before they got those tags. When they were raffling guns.

So who exactly are you Hoss?
You once posted good things about MDF and how you may just join.
You started this thread praising SFW for spending everyone else's money but yours on something beneficial, now you spit on both?
I haven't said a thing about Bair or Don, nor do I praise either of them as "magicians", neither of them are.

FYI Hossblur, I am not even a member of the SFW, never have been!
Nor am I a "flat brimmer" trying to make a name for myself at the Expo by getting my name and face out there for more social media "likes".

Who am i?
I am a 55 year old, very active volunteer of the MDF.
I bust my a s s for them because I KNOW where MY money goes, I put it there with my own hands and with my own shovel.
I believe in our cause and the leadership, my local chapter is family.
I have started several threads here on MM showing project dates, project outcomes, money allocations, banquets, raffles, etc, etc and have gotten very little interest off this site, yet have watched negative threads and posts as a Moderator for 15 years about the DWR failing us all.

What do YOU do for wildlife Hoss? How are YOU helping preserve our hunting heritage for the benefit of your children and grandchildren?
Throwing personal insults to those who are isn't beneficial to anything.

Conservation groups, all of them, are doing what the DWR, can't, or isn't, this is exactly why they exist.

I am proud of what I do and not a single copper coin goes into my pockets, the blisters on my hands and soreness in my back after a project are all I need.

Last edited:
So who exactly are you Hoss?
You once posted good things about MDF and how you may just join.
You started this thread praising SFW for spending everyone else's money but yours on something beneficial, now you spit on both?
I haven't said a thing about Bair or Don, nor do I praise either of them as "magicians", neither of them are.

FYI Hossblur, I am not even a member of the SFW, never have been!
Nor am I a "flat brimmer" trying to make a name for myself at the Expo by getting my name and face out there for more social media "likes".

Who am i?
I am a 55 year old, very active volunteer of the MDF.
I bust my a s s for them because I KNOW where MY money goes, I put it there with my own hands and with my own shovel.
I believe in our cause and the leadership, my local chapter is family.
I have started several threads here on MM showing project dates, project outcomes, money allocations, banquets, raffles, etc, etc and have gotten very little interest off this site, yet have watched negative threads and posts as a Moderator for 15 years about the DWR failing us all.

What do YOU do for wildlife Hoss? How are YOU helping preserve our hunting heritage for the benefit of your children and grandchildren?
Throwing personal insults to those who are isn't beneficial to anything.

I am proud of what I do and not a single copper coin goes into my pockets, the blisters on my hands and soreness in my back after a project are all I need.

I never said you were a member.

Further, feel free to do a search, my bashing on $FW almost never involves MDF, because other than the expo, I don't see them as similar.

And I was sincere in my limited thanks, figuring guys that are here very often, know that I bang $fw, so a thank you was different.

Had we kept the discussion there, it would have stayed

Now. Unlike you, I'm just a dude who hunts.. I have ZERO income from hunting. I'm not a guide. Not an outfitter. Therefore, I don't support the special interest group that caters to them and their clientele(SFW). I don't support their fleecing of normal dudes opportunity to finance their mission. I'm not bamboozled by poster sized checks, or pheasants. For 3decades WE have pumped millions into $fw, what is the return before this purchase? Declining deer, declining moose, expansion of CWMU, an explosion of corporate hunting.

But this is where IT ALWAYS GOES. Unlike YOU who came in with actual numbers for MDF(which is why I don't bash them almost ever), when the rubber hits the road, it's the same spin.

"Out volunteers.............". Fabulous. Great. Appreciated.

Now where the hell is the money? Volunteers don't get paid, so stop using them to shield the answer.

Am I to believe, that you, who obviously volunteers a bunch, wouldn't volunteer if $
fw/MDF got over 300 tags? That anyone in those groups wouldn't?

I attend banquets. Here's how it works. Tag comes up, 4dudes on phones bidding for clients. Those clients don't give 2shits about conservation, it's a big dick contest for inches. Once thats over, the regular folks get in on a raffle.

I don't go to the expo, but I don't for a second buy that some Canadian oil drillers is concerned with the plight of mule deer in Utah. He wants the head mount and insta fame.

So let's be honest. I did my 30 hours for my dedicated by buying chain saws and winches for the DWR in Price, and spent double for each hour. (didn't even get my nebo sheep for it?). I drop another chunk of coin for banquets. Yeah, I know, not enough, ?.

Now let's be honest. MDF loses more possible members by being involved with $fw than it gains. Myself included. I did tell you I would join. But when rubber met the road, I don't want the stain if those CROOKS to touch me, so I sent the money to RMEF.

I meant what I said. This was a good thing. Land is good However before $FW/MDF start blowing their horns too loud, their other partners don't get hundreds of tags to sell. Amazing how they were capable of doing so, without them. When that gets explained, HONESTLY, let's talk. Let's discuss how RMEF wasn't going to skim. Let's discuss Nature Conservancy buying large deaths of land, without the tags.

I've been sitting here watching for swans on Nature Conservancy land this morning. How many tags should they get?

Dwr IS SHORT STAFFED. Yet somehow a special interest group grabs $12 million+, FROM TAGS(DWR is funded by license sells), but we aren't supposed to notice the correlation?

To quote Brandon, "C'mon man"!!!

Your a stand up guy. I have no issues with you.

Last edited:
As a long time member. I realize I have broken the rules.

$fw debates are scheduled for late Jan, early Feb.

So I'll end it until then?

I'm glad all those groups got together on this, let's hope it's not a one time thing

We had a couple large chunks of stla land sold off on the diamond mountain unit a few years ago. Both chunks where prime deer hunting land that the public hunters had enjoyed forever.

I sure wish those lots would have been purchased by sportsman's groups.

I wish there was more effort from the groups to purchase land like this.

We had a couple large chunks of stla land sold off on the diamond mountain unit a few years ago. Both chunks where prime deer hunting land that the public hunters had enjoyed forever.

Hopefully this purchase is a sign of more to come Jake.....it's definitely a good start!

The one on the rim was a big loss.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom