Pulled Swan BBQ

huntFX4

So earlier in the year I made Swan Teriyaki Shish kabobs. Now I've put together another good swan recipe.
I did mix it with mallard and widgeon to make enough for a good meal, but it was mostly swan.

In a crock pot, I put the swan breast and duck breasts in chicken broth, enough to cover completely. Didn't measure spices, but I put a good amount of garlic powder, onion powder and salt as well as a couple tablespoons or so of Worcester. Cooked on high for about 5-6 hours until the meat easily pulls apart with forks. After pulling it all, added more garlic, onion and salt as well as some avocado oil for moisture. Mixed that into the meat and let sit for a few minutes. Then mixed in Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce to the wanted texture and put it all back in the crock pot after emptying out the broth and wiping clean. Left on warm for a couple hours and served on French hamburger rolls with seasoned fries, coleslaw, and broiled pineapple.

Delicious. Just as good as pork.

I’ve eaten javelina, mountain goat, bear,carp, merganser, coot, ibex, Barbary sheep, and a myriad of other things people told me were no good to eat and enjoyed all of them. Swan is truly the worst thing I’ve ever eaten so I’m fairly impressed to hear this. I’ve ground them into sausage, made jerky, plucked and roasted, poppers, every way imaginable and they’ve all be nearly inedible and that’s coming from someone who truly enjoys all the aforementioned wild game. Where did you shoot yours? Maybe it’s what they’re eating. I’ve shot ten or so of them but just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on them anymore!

Yotebuster I killed mine in Utah. I'd heard the same thing. With the shishkabobs I made it marinated in pineapple juice and a little teriyaki for 36 hours or so. They were made from the leg quarters. My whole family loved it both ways.

Never tried any swan, but have eaten a bunch of Sandhill Cranes. Any similarity?? People call them "ribeye of the sky", but I don't find them fit to eat, any way but as jerky!!

but I don't find them fit to eat, any way but as jerky!!
I thought the same about duck after trying it a few times, including Peking style in a well-known LA restaurant. But several years ago I was on a Coues deer hunt in Sonora, Mex., and a guy who outfitted for Mexican duck hunts was also in camp. He had brought a bunch of duck breasts, which he then marinated in something & cooked them over mesquite coals. They were delicious; I pigged out on them.

I'd probably try it, but we don't have a swan season here & my local grocer/butcher/restaurant doesn't sell it. Such a delemma. :rolleyes:

I've never eaten swan. If cooked alone, how close is it to a goose or duck, which I have tried?

Nowhere near.

We usually throw it in the grind along with other waterfowl and jerk it.

Never tried this recipe, but overall swan isn't a great dinner.

We usually have 1or 2 a year, so that's not a lot of meat to experiment with.

Nowhere near.

I probably won't go out of my way to try it then. :ROFLMAO:

I actually hunted swans & ducks one day at a lake in New Zealand, but we struck out on the swans. We did get a few of the neat looking paradise ducks for dinner, tho. Although I ate some, I wouldn't go out of my way yo do that again either. :rolleyes:

Female

1628261942787.png

Male

1628261854951.png

Nowhere near.

Well I differ on that. I made swan shishkabobs and the meat was way better than goose. Didn't have the liver taste of goose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom