Purchasing Oil

Our present government will not give us the facts. Scientists on the Federal grant money for "climate change" will not give us the facts for fear of losing their tit money. The vast majority of the media will not give us the facts, only their political opinion. Forget about getting facts on Covid-19 as that flip flops from day to day.
Where in Hades are you getting your facts.
RELH

If you can’t express your opinion without getting political by responding to my question without blaming or faulting a politician or a political party, don’t respond. Founder will just nuke if you do.

Why does the US need to purchase oil from any Country if we have enough of our own?

If we need oil why don’t we produce our own?
You ask a political question but don’t want to hear a political answer. Interesting…

I think if I remember right when I started driving in the early 70's it was 29 or 30 cents a Gallon!
Prolly not far off. I should remember because it had a lot to do with my net income. I was a wholesale sales rep for firearms, fishing tackle & hardware, travelling the whole state at that time in a Chevy 4x4 PU.

The reason we import oil is that the majority of our lower 48 production is not oil but condensate. IE it has an API gravity greater then 45°. Our refineries were designed and built at a time when the crude mix was primarily below 38°. Canadian crude from tar sands and such is mid to high teens, Saudi crude is mid 30's, Venezuelan crude is below 20°. We have to blend our condensate with imported oil stocks in order for them to be efficiently refined. Without these imported barrels our refineries would function at a significantly lower capacity. Additionally we have more refining capacity then we have need of so countries ship their oil here and we export refined product back to the global market. Some smaller western refiners built more recently are called crackers and can manage the light ends of most unconventional production (commonly referred to as shales but rarely actually shale formations) currently flowing in the lower 48. Additionally the lighter grades of condensate the makeup of the barrel does not distill into the same mix as the lower grades. This means is breaks more toward gas and less towards diesel. We started exporting unrefined products in 2016 during the Obama administration, after having banned the practice in 1975. We currently produce over 12 million bbl per day with estimates being almost 8 million of those bbl being condensate.

The reason we import oil is that the majority of our lower 48 production is not oil but condensate. IE it has an API gravity greater then 45°. Our refineries were designed and built at a time when the crude mix was primarily below 38°. Canadian crude from tar sands and such is mid to high teens, Saudi crude is mid 30's, Venezuelan crude is below 20°. We have to blend our condensate with imported oil stocks in order for them to be efficiently refined. Without these imported barrels our refineries would function at a significantly lower capacity. Additionally we have more refining capacity then we have need of so countries ship their oil here and we export refined product back to the global market. Some smaller western refiners built more recently are called crackers and can manage the light ends of most unconventional production (commonly referred to as shales but rarely actually shale formations) currently flowing in the lower 48. Additionally the lighter grades of condensate the makeup of the barrel does not distill into the same mix as the lower grades. This means is breaks more toward gas and less towards diesel. We started exporting unrefined products in 2016 during the Obama administration, after having banned the practice in 1975. We currently produce over 12 million bbl per day with estimates being almost 8 million of those bbl being condensate.

Condensate is an NGL...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom