Purgatorie Wildlife Ranch Deer

tyson426

I drew a buck tag on the Purgatorie Wildlife Ranch this fall. Just wondering if anyone else on this site has drawn that tag before. I'd love to hear what the hunt was like. I couldn't seem to find much about it. Thanks!

I drew it, Had a great hunt! Call and talk to Steve. Purgatory is actually made up of 4 or 5 ranches. You will get randomly placed on one of them. I cant speak as to the other ranches but the one I was on was a great time. They'll help you if you want or leave you alone. Spent the first day being shown around the ranch. Then I was on my own from there. (my choice) Big bucks are around. Just depends on what you want to hold out for. I killed my buck on the 8th day of 9.

They want you to have a good hunt. It's not in their best interest if you have a crappy hunt

I've hunted the neighboring ground there - you will have a good hunt, and great info that Billygoot shared with you. Neat country there!

Thank you for the replies. I'm pretty excited about that hunt. I'll definitely give Steve a call. I've never hunted anything down in that area, so its all new for me.

At this point, I would guess that you've already been assigned to a ranch. Should get a packet in the mail with contact info for that particular ranch.

The year I hunted. I was wanting a whitetail and only 2 ranches in the whole program had huntable whitetails. The ranch really close to home wouldn't return my calls. Steve did. I let him know as soon as I knew I drew and he put me on the one ranch that had whitetails. Had the worst weather for whitetails, 86 deg and full moon. Finally killed a big muley on the 8th day I had passed up a couple times earlier in the week. It was a good decision to kill that buck. He was way better than I gave him credit for.

far right buck https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRpjuGmAwHxMrtTo6

Good luck!

That is an awesome deer!! Thanks for sharing. I would be ecstatic with him. I'll for sure get in touch. How long ago did you have the tag and did you see many whitetails?

I hunted in 2010.That buck is a deceiving 198" My buddy drew in 2015 and killed a 186" buck. I don't know if that's the norm on all the ranch's that are part of the Purgatory ranch's though. We both hunted the same ranch. They seem to do a good job managing the deer on those properties. They do all kinds of habitat improvements.
If your patient and hunt hard I think the opportunity at a buck 180+ is there

I saw a few whitetails but it was hot and full moon. Didnt seem to bother the muleys.

You pretty much have to camp. It's a pretty good drive back out to LaJunta for a hotel. Also have to be in a self contained camper. no tent camping. Could vary depending on which ranch you were on though.

So I got down there on Monday, missed the first 3 days due to my
>wife having to leave town. I shot a really nice deer on Wednesday morning, he's a 5x5 about 26 inches wide. He was the only muley buck I saw. I saw 2 white tail bucks, but they were both really small. It was incredible to be down there, hunting that gorgeous county with my daughter. Over the three days, we probably
saw 20 deer total. What an experience, wish I could hunt down there every year.

9906img3103a1.jpg

I drew it, Had a great hunt! Call and talk to Steve. Purgatory is actually made up of 4 or 5 ranches. You will get randomly placed on one of them. I cant speak as to the other ranches but the one I was on was a great time. They'll help you if you want or leave you alone. Spent the first day being shown around the ranch. Then I was on my own from there. (my choice) Big bucks are around. Just depends on what you want to hold out for. I killed my buck on the 8th day of 9.

They want you to have a good hunt. It's not in their best interest if you have a crappy hunt
I drew this year and am pumped to go find a big one!

So I got down there on Monday, missed the first 3 days due to my
>wife having to leave town. I shot a really nice deer on Wednesday morning, he's a 5x5 about 26 inches wide. He was the only muley buck I saw. I saw 2 white tail bucks, but they were both really small. It was incredible to be down there, hunting that gorgeous county with my daughter. Over the three days, we probably
saw 20 deer total. What an experience, wish I could hunt down there every year.

View attachment 38281
Awesome buck, congrats!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom