Pyrenees and other livestock guard dogs in WY

Ya, BuzzH asked me to contact my legislators. I would use my shortwave radio but I am not sure what frequency they are on. But I bet BuzzH does, he has either an opinion or answer for every question posed regarding Wyoming.

Ya, BuzzH asked me to contact my legislators. I would use my shortwave radio but I am not sure what frequency they are on. But I bet BuzzH does, he has either an opinion or answer for every question posed regarding Wyoming.
<insert South Park meme of guy touching doll to show where buzzH hurt your feelings >

Good. I'll bet between the money from Utah tags sold at sheep show and the western hunting expo this year you could buy out every sheep grazing lease in the state. And every state. But again it's illegal where I live. So saying a rancher is the highest bidder seems like bs to me.

How's it illegal? We have all this power and influence

Title 36 Chapter 4 paragraph 5a(in part):

Provided however, that none of the proceeds generated from the auction of bighorn sheep tags pursuant to this paragraph be used to purchase or acquire private property or federally managed grazing permits, nor shall any proceeds generated be used for matching funds for the purchase of private property or the retirement or the acquisition of federally managed grazing permits.

Title 36 Chapter 4 paragraph 5a(in part):

Provided however, that none of the proceeds generated from the auction of bighorn sheep tags pursuant to this paragraph be used to purchase or acquire private property or federally managed grazing permits, nor shall any proceeds generated be used for matching funds for the purchase of private property or the retirement or the acquisition of federally managed grazing permits.

You missed the point

The point is, the livestock lobby has more political pull than the hunting lobby so they get laws made

You missed the point

The point is, the livestock lobby has more political pull than the hunting lobby so they get laws made
I understand, it's changing. USFS retired some leasing on the Salmon recently. I don't think most hunters know enough about the issue to get involved. If there are 80k hunters in Utah, there sure aren't 80k sheep herders. Or any state. As stated above, write letters, vote. The economic impact of one wild sheep is higher than hundreds(maybe thousands) of domestic.

Got an invite to go coyote calling today, so I'd like to ask jm77 to monitor the internet while I'm gone. jm77 is going to have his eyeballs glued to a device, anyway, so might as well make his time useful. I'm sure his boyfriend Buzz will assist. The www depends on you two!
Did you wear your camo manbun to go with your 6.5?

I understand, it's changing. USFS retired some leasing on the Salmon recently. I don't think most hunters know enough about the issue to get involved. If there are 80k hunters in Utah, there sure aren't 80k sheep herders. Or any state. As stated above, write letters, vote. The economic impact of one wild sheep is higher than hundreds(maybe thousands) of domestic.

I'm all for that. The economic impact however is a whatever the tag price is. And not every tag pulls auction price. The majority pull resident price. And no, even today, the economy of sheep camp makers, wool mills, meat processors, restaurants and stores, and trucking outfits, dwarfs what wild sheep fetch.

And, to the public. A raise in prices at the store, so you and I can kill a wild sheep, is a tough sale. There all for wild sheep. Not as much for us killing them.

To them, what difference is there in a dead sheep from pneumonia vs. dead sheep from a bullet.

And, to circle back to the OP, there are WAYYYYYY more dog lovers than wild or domestic sheep lovers.

We as hunters aren't nearly the power we used to be. Mostly because we cut out other hunters. Our power, and industry might, is an afterthought. And with UT, and ID the 2fastest growing states, that power decreases, daily.

Be careful. Garcho is verb form of garchar. To F***.
We had dinner together, but there was no F***s given. My dog and his together.

It works both ways . My lab got out when I was younger and killed some lamb’s from a local rancher. He knew me, knew my dog and didn’t shoot him. Most ranchers would have. I paid for damages.

The most devastating packs are domestic dogs, however that completely falls on incompetent owners. Same could be said about feral cats and small and upland game populations.

Letters?

This is quite the thread made of a non issue. Who cares, you should know enough to stay away from a dog who was put on the earth to protect sheep. Probably don't go near the sheep or the dog would be Good option. I've seen them out hunting pretty easy to avoid. Wow what a problem

This is quite the thread made of a non issue. Who cares, you should know enough to stay away from a dog who was put on the earth to protect sheep. Probably don't go near the sheep or the dog would be Good option. I've seen them out hunting pretty easy to avoid. Wow what a problem
He lives in Wyoming. You can’t keep a Wyoming boy from his sheep. Love knows no bounds, and it’s legal in Wyoming!

Feral cats out in the boonies are a different story. If they're not on the porch, or around a farmhouse, they're targets!!

There should only be one cat in the world and everyone takes turns to look at it…

I
He lives in Wyoming. You can’t keep a Wyoming boy from his sheep. Love knows no bounds, and it’s legal in Wyoming!
I live In wyoming and I'm not attracted to sheep haha but I know those sheep dogs are not to be messed with so I don't go near em problem solved

Last edited:
I
I live In wyoming and I'm not attracted to sheep haha but I know those sheep dogs are not be messed with so I don't go near em problem solved
Hahaha yeah I know you do.

Seems like the guys having problems with sheep dogs might of been doing some sheepy stuff. Relationships can be difficult…

I'm sure you don't believe bighorns just reside around Hwy 34 in area 19. I will pm you the answer.
Just wondering where the sheep ranch is, I know full well bighorns are all over the Laramie Range.
Good grief.

Driving in from the field today this mean SOB bout Got hit by me. Rolled down my window said you meanie better walk away lol jumped up to visit, if I had there life I would be a mean SOB though ha

MEAN SOB !!

86071948-F47D-4F37-A443-BD573E2E693D.jpeg

Sheep guard dogs are not always friendly. I remember when a mountain biker in Colorado spent a month in the hospital after being mauled. I have no love for mountain bikers but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I have had many encounters without incident but one night while hiking after dark I was charged by three of them. I believe that if it wasn't for bear spray I would have been in big trouble.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom