Quail

stevie

It seems that the quail population is pretty fair this year. I saw a decent number of coveys in the lower areas of Unit 30 while deer hunting. Might just have to hunt them some weekend up there. How are the populations elsewhere?

I run into them everywhere I go this year I can hardly wait!!!! Don't have a dog ,but I been running on the tredmill lately so maybe I will be able catch up to them running blue's.

Jordan

Amazing quail numbers this year. Can't wait to get my dogs on'em! Some of the old timers in central NM are saying that this is the most quail they have ever seen.... Good rain and some areas have laid two clutches.... LOTS of birds everywhere I have been.

I too have seen a lot of quail this year in the southern portion of the state. I spoke with the G&F guys in Las Cruces office and they said the quail were on their 3rd hatch this year. The doves did not seem as thick this year but the quail are doing great.

Hunted the edge of the Stallion this weekend a litte bit and killed a couple limits what a blast.

Jordan

Leaving the 21st for our 4 days of hunting down by Hobbs. Lots of birds reported.

Drove down to San Antonio area last weekend. Didn't see much until I was about to get on the highway. Jumped a nice covey at the end of the day, but too close to the road.

I would like to get my dogs out a couple more times before the season closes. Any good areas close to Santa Fe? With the high gas prices, just wanted to see if you guys have any suggestions.

PM me if you like. Thanks.

Been hunting the little guys quite a bit lately over a couple of pointers and labs. Seems like a lot of the big covies we had found this summer have diminished in numbers quite significantly over the past couple of months...Not shooting many young birds at all which leads me to believe that there was a good die-off of this year's hatch during the past couple of month's drought. Hobbs and Roswell areas do have a ton of of birds but things are basically pretty normal for the gambels and scalies in my spots South of Albuquerque. Having to work hard for birds we do shoot on public land down there but getting some good shooting.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom