Question for .308 reloaders?????

stanley

Very Active Member
I'm taking-up reloading, and am going to start on my .308 Win. I've been mainly doing just reading so far, but am close to the point of having to select components.

Anyone have any personal favorite loads they want to share? The guy at a local gun store recommended a 168gr sp bullet. I was leaning towards a 130gr-150gr, for no other reason than it is a ligher bullet for a relatively small caliber. He said that the 168gr shoots fine. I'm assuming the heavier bullet would help in varying conditions? I'll be using it on deer only (no elk or varmits).

I want to use the gun out to 300-350yds if possible. Any tips on where I should zero it? Zero @ 250? Or is it all just a matter of preference??? Another handicap; It's an auto-loader; Remington 7400. Help!!!! ;-)

Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

S.

:)

I've never loaded for an autoloader so I could be way off here...

I would probably go with H380, BLC-2, IMR 4064 or IMR4895 for any 150 gr or lighter loads. For 165 grs I would add Varget & IMR 4350 to that list.

You would probably benafit from a Lee factory crimp die. they cost only a few bucks and they have been known to do wonders for accuracy. Also a small base dies are recomended for autoloaders and pump actions.

Try http://www.reloadbench.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
most of the time you'll find what you need.

Good luck!

Outstanding! Looks like a ton of information at the reloadbench.com site.

Thanks for the help Mammoth!

Regards,
S.

my grandpa and i used to reload for my .308(dont shoot it any more, bought a remington 700 30-06) we used to shoot 165 grain high sierra boat tails, these were used for coues whitetail and elk, i shot 2 elk with them and they seemed to have no negative feedback at all, in fact, they were so amaed, it stopped them in their tracks. we mostly used these because my gun likes them and shot them well.
casey

I would go with either a 150 or a 165 grain bullet. Try both weights and see if your rifle shoots one better than the other. I think I would try Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Sierra Game Kings.

I would zero it at 250 yards just like you said.

Thanks for the help all. My boys & I had fun this weekend (tedious work actually...) re-sizing & de-priming the .308 cases.

I appreciate all of the advice!

S.

I shoot 150 grain Noslers, with 45.0 grains of RL 15 in my Remington BDL. They work great on deer! I think for an auto loader you need to use a full length resizing die ONLY! I zero mine at 3" high at 100. Good luck!

Hey Neck, with the load you described above, where is your gun zeroed? 3" high @ 100 = zero? Is it zeroed at about 200, or does the bullet drop a little faster than that? Just curious...

Oh, and a big 10-4 on the full length resizing die! I've studied enough to figure that one out pretty early. I have also pretty much figured that I need to go with an 'average' load, due to the auto-loader. I bought a used RCBS Rockchucker & dies off of Ebay, and have been slowly stocking-up on the other gear I need.

Thanks!
S.

Stanley, I also sight my rifle 3 inches high at 100 yards (270 Win.) This is kind of a rule of thumb that a lot of guys go by, and it works well for just about any average deer/elk cartridge. With my 270, it puts me right on at about 250, and 4 inches low at 300. The 308 won't be much different.

Its great to see the .308 getting some talk. Its a great round & its about the same as a 30-06 with the smaller slugs 165 gr. and lower. I have a Ruger m77, I try to load 150 or 165 gr. In about 79.39% of all hunting situations a 308 will do the job. Just my opinion. Littlebuck

What's the rate of twist of your .308?? This will determine what grain bullet your rifle likes. You may have stated, and I missed it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom