Question for Military Vets.

nochawk

Do to injuries recieved in the military I find myself being placed on the disabled list at age 43. I have just been awarded full disability and with it comes medicare coverage.

My question is, since I have full VA benefits and use the VA system for all my medical and prescription needs, do I need to opt out of Medicare? the charge for me will be $158 a month. This seems high to me as my father is only charges $83 a month, but he is over 65 and I am only 43.

Just want to know the pro's and cons of having VA and or Medicare?

I have to make a decision before the first of the year.

Thank You

Nate

If you are close to a VA hospital, then I would suggest sticking with the VA totally. If you live a fare distance from the nearest VA facility, I'd go for both.
I too have disability and VA benefits, but the drive for me is not only far but a nightmare. Just my .02 cents.

Not a vet, but know of a bunch of guys, and it seems like they can have a hard time getting appointments for less than life threatening issues, and also great difficulty in scheduling elective procedures. These are just perceptions from the outside, fwiw. Also consider that most of the guys I come in contact with are also involved in the criminal justice system-not as employees.
HB

Nochawk

I'm in about the same boat as you ecept my diasability was after I got out. Keep the medicare and just get your annual physical and prescriptions drugs thru the V.A. I have never had any problems even here in Wyoming.

Thanks for the replys guys, I decided to get the Medicare coverage. I only live about 50 miles from the VA in SLC and there is a clinic here in ogden for routine stuff. The VA will cover anything that I was awarded benefits for but simple stuff like if I broke my leg/arm ect would not be covered. and as for meds, they come thru the mail so if I got a new prescription from a civilian doc it would take 7 to 10 days for it to be filled and mailed to me.

Thanks again for the replys...
Nate

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom