Question for the experts?

bigshotca

I have a 300 weatherby mark v ultra light and have been having issues with the bolt being hard to lift after firering a shot, not every shot maybe 1 out of 7, and when this occurs the round is also out of line 5 to 6 inches from normal in no particular direction. Any thoughts or advise?

Not an expert but I'll take a stab at it...

Factory ammo?

If so, is this the first time you have shot this particular ammo or has it been working fine in the past and this is just a new box doing this?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

factory rounds? weatherby puts some stink on them, and high pressure isn't out of the norm for wby factory rounds.My 30-378 factory loads were so hot they were blowing primers.

A few things tho, how old is the gun? Throat erosion can cause pressure spikes, and oddly enough not on every shot.. Also check your recoil lugs, it isn't unheard of for only half or so of the 9 lugs to be taking all the pressure, make sure some of them are not "set back"..if they are it SHOULD be obvious.

It is 2 years old maybe 60 rounds through it. Yes factory ammo 180 grain nosler's weatherby ammo. How would i notice if presure was to high?

>It is 2 years old maybe
>60 rounds through it. Yes
>factory ammo 180 grain nosler's
>weatherby ammo. How would i
>notice if presure was to
>high?

The bold will be hard to lift after firing a shot! :)

Like stated Factory ammo is loaded pretty stout. You will also notice ejector mark(shiny circle spot) on the headstamp. Just curious. What was the temperature like when you were shooting? Were the bullets left in the sun? This can cause a pressure spike also.

There is a little shiney circle on those caseing's, the box was in the shade outside temp was low to mid 90's, I also noticed some small brass shavings in my bolt face?

You could try another lot or another bullet. How is it shooting now? Were you shooting consecutive shots or letting the rifle cool between shots. A 300wby in an ultralight would heat up real quick.

I would shoot 3 shot groups and let cool after 3 shots, did not seem to be a heat problem as sometimes it would happen on the first shot. Typical groups are 1 inch or less at 200 yards, but would grow to maybe 6 inches

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom