Question for the WY experts!

hoopscoach

I should know the answer to this but I'm still figuring things out in WY and am not sure where to look. Can a non resident do a drop camp in a wilderness area with an outfitter or does it have to be a fully guided hunt? Thanks in advance.
Hoopscoach

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

Yep, the person is supposed to have a guide or a resident that can sign off to take no more than two people in a season and they are to remain in close proximity during the hunt.

First part is right "a guide or resident that can sign off"..

No requirement to "stay in close proximity"...

Perfectly legal to just be hunting out of the same camp with the resident. Been there, done that...and checked.

BuzzH---I think that is probably one of those gray areas because it's not specifically in the law, but a Warden told me one time that a lot of the G&F people think what I stated is the way the law was intended. Maybe the next Warden would say just the opposite! Otherwise, they might as well allow a NR to do a drop camp with an outfitter like the OP asked about. I would think what you stated would be the way it should be handled, but if you were out by yourself a mile or two from camp and got a ticket it would be expensive to fight it. That's exactly how the G&F gets away with issuing trespassing tickets to NRs based on the word of a rancher because they know it's too expensive to fight it and you'll probably just pay the ticket.

I have done a "semi-guided" hunt in a wilderness area in WY. We hunted 2 on 1 and were always within sight of the guide while we were in the wilderness area. As a non-resident, the law seems rather foolish. Non residents can enter wilderness areas in most other states without being accompanied by a guide so why not in WY.

It's strictly a welfare or subsidy type deal passed by the Legislature to help the guiding industry in the state. A NR can do anything in a wilderness area by themselves any time of the year other than hunt big game. It's been contested in court once or twice and the court has ruled in favor of the state since they control all hunting within their border whether it's Federal, State, or private property.

The way to fight this is not in court...the states absolutely have the right to discriminate against NR hunters.

This one needs to be repealed via the State Legislature.

I'd like to see that very thing happen...poor law, passed for lame reasons, and very discriminatory towards the NR hunters who pay a lions share of the WYG&F's bills.

You would do well to be with a guide or resident. As stated, wardens have some latitude in interpretation of law, but the circuit court judges tend to back the warden's judgment when a citation is issued.

As a Wyoming resident, I also think the law is completely bogus. It may be something that could be changed. More hunters in general are getting vocal and I don't think the outfitters' association has gained much weight.

Here is a link to a post a while back regarding the wilderness law in Wyoming

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=12308&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

what if your just hiking or camping, have your rifle for bear protection, maybe even orange so a licensed guide doesn't shoot you

I expect that if you have a tag for an animal in that area, the season is open, and you have a weapon to kill it with, that the law will quickly interpret your actions as hunting...

The wilderness guide law is a farce, but as usual my recommendation is to not try to skirt around the law. Regardless of personal philosophies, is it worth loss of trophy, equipment, hunting privileges in several states, fines, etc...? We can justify what we want in reference to any number of reasons that seem valid to us, if we want. Poachers do it all the time.

However, even though I would like a back country elk or sheep hunt, I have a hard time giving my hard earned cash over to those most responsible for the law we are talking about. The choice whether to hunt with or without a guide should be ours.

I agree Mr goldh.
I think the law is all about the wrong reasons. I do think that a good guide with the right stock can get you into the country and be great company.
99% of my hunting is some form of DIY but a few hunts have been guided, as required by law. These outfitter/guides perform a valuable service but I don't like the mandate to use one.
Zeke

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom