Question on deer zone for you guys

Elk_Nuts

So if you had 6 or 7 points (don't remember right now) and were tired of hunting a D zone for the last 6 or 7 years, what probable "sure draw zone" with that amount of points would you waste them on?

Or would you hold on to them and keep hunting the crappy D zones for now?

-John Wayne

If you don't have a xzone you know then I say wait until the harvest report comes out and compare that to the draw odds and pick one. I have about the same point as you dibu won't say where I am applying as I am about a 50:50 draw this year and don't need anymore competition.

You may consider sharing your points with someone else and go hunt an area with lots of tags that can be drawn every 2-3 years then you get to know it better that's what I am going to do after I get this one hunt one more time

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-12 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-12 AT 09:26?AM (MST)

I'AM KINDA IN THE SAME BOAT AS WELL, 8 POINTS, DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT UNIT TO APPLY FOR......MIGHT TRY IN 2 YEARS. A COUPLE OF OTHER HUNTS IN THE WAY AS WELL.

I DO APPRECIATE THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED FROM THE NORTH CALI FELLAS.......THANKS AGAIN !!! ...........YD. (GO GIANTS !!!).

YD? you didnt try for the garden? X-2? i'd pick a zone and go you guys are getting into no mans land,,,,, although you MIGHT draw G-3 one of these days you guys have to many points and not enough points :)

NAW......WE PASSED ON X2, COUPLE OF THE GUYS DREW G-3.....THEN WE GOT ON TO OTHER HUNTS. STILL LOOKIN AT A COUPLE OF OTHER G & X POSSIBILITIES. HOPEFULLY IN A COUPLE YEARS WE WILL MAKE IT.....YD.

I had max points for the longest time, didn't matter to me cause I was going out of state hunting every year..Then a few years ago I decided to burn them and do some in state hunting..I decided on an x zone that only takes 1-2 points..At first I thought it was a waste but on the other hand I kinda already knew the country and didn't need to scout it.. I was really happy with the hunt and decided that I would rather hunt an decent zone every 2-3 years than wait 8+ years for a premium hunt..

If it was guaranteed that I were hunting out of state every year then I would be waiting for a G37 or G3 tag..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-12 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]Bucksnort, I'm with you. I'd rather hunt a unit I can draw every 2-4 years. Then you draw a conflicting out-of-state hunt 2 years in a row and you're at 6-7 PPs.

I had 4PPs last year and applied with my wife who only had 2. We had a better than 50% chance at X6A last year but no tag. This year it's PPs because of other tags. One more of these years, and I'll be at 6.

And with an off year everywhere but Wyoming, I'll build more points in other states this year so there are more tags on the horizon.

Now that my wife has enough PPs to draw that tag next year on her own, I'll probably just archery hunt it so I can really focus on her hunt.

But no complaints about drawing Wyoming elk. Kinda nice to know where you are hunting that fall by March 1st.

WELL......I HAVE MADE AT LEAST ONE OUT OF STATE HUNT EVERY YEAR SINCE 1974.......SOME YEARS AS MANY AS 3. THE CALI POINT THING IS JUST SOMETHING I DID KNOWING SOMEDAY IT WOULD BE FUN TO HUNT AT HOME. I COLLECT POINTS IN 7 STATES FOR 6 DIFFERENT ANIMALS, ITS KINDA OF A HOBBY/SICKNESS........BULL & BUCK FEVER IS A #####.........YD (NO BEAR, OK... SNORT).

+1 Buck,,,YD hope to be going back to Utah if we do not get a tag will be here in Ca i REALLY like X-2 :) even with less deer than the old days wish could go back ,,,,, its just to hard to draw and i cant stand to sit out and not go somewhere ,,,, been going to Utah and CA every year for a lot of years , it is getting to be a little tricky though

Thanks for the advice guys.

I may just put in for X7b one more time. If I don't draw then I'm going back to X1. been hunting up there for years and I know the area well. If not 7b then I may try 6a or 6b instead this year.

-John Wayne

If i had 6-7 points, i no doubt would get a x-5A tag. Not that i know it that well, not that i've killed humongo bucks there, and not because there are lots and lots of big bucks to be had. But, some of all of the above!

Plus, i really like hunting bucks in that country! That's what i would do!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I first started hunting the X-7B area when I was twelve years old. Killed my first buck there in an area that is now part of the NorthStar ski resort.
Back in the day of deer herds, if a good storm with snow came in, it was one of the most fantastic migrations in the state. An old friend of mine that lives in that zone took a 31" non typical out of there in 2009.

I have heard good things about X7B also, and if you know it, or X1 as well.

I'm like Joey, I love the high desert country and 5B is something I'll never wait for unless it's archery. So 5A may be an option someday if the other states cooperate with tags in the meantime.

My current plan is when we aren't in line out-of-state, I'll archery 6A and have the wife rifle hunt it.

LOL YD, No bears!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Crappy D zones??? Really??? I've hunted D-5 every year for the last 20 or so years, and probably 25 years total. Most years, I see anywhere from 15-30 bucks. My last D5 buck was over 27" wide an scored 142 as a 3x3. I don't shoot many bucks, but that's personal choice, not for lack of opportunity.

X5A and B are wonderful units. I haven't hunted deer in them yet, but have done some pronghorn hunting there and love that country. Some big bucks, deer and antelope both, roam that country.

If I were going to hunt an X zone myself, I think I'd hunt right at Adin, which I think is X3A, but I'm not totally sure of the unit. My step-fathers brother owns a big ranch right there, and they have some very good deer. He gets a few PLM tags, but only uses them to take his grandkids hunting. I've never hunted there, but if I do decide to get an X zone tag someday, that's probably where I'll go.

Dan said, "Crappy D zones??? Really??? I've hunted D-5 every year for the last 20 or so years, and probably 25 years total. Most years, I see anywhere from 15-30 bucks. My last D5 buck was over 27" wide an scored..."

Dan, In all fairness, didn't you take that 27" buck, hunt and see most of he bucks you claim on a lightly hunted large Club or private ranch? You have stated as much before so i see a conflict with your bragging above.

Having hunted our large private Ranch for many years, i know that there is a huge difference between that and the public lands that get pounded by the masses yet you act like they are one and the same. I don't hunt the D's myself but do know it isn't quite as easy or you're not quite the all great hunter your above statement portrays without the access to private property and all that can entail!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom