Question on preference points

Rodzilla_v

With the new MT rule changes for 2022. I am a little confused. I have two preference point going into this year (I did not apply for a combo tag last year), if I don't actually apply for a combo tag this year, would I lose all my points?

I was trying to hold off to hunt next year in 2023 ( I have 4 bonus points at the moment for elk and was hoping to draw a breaks tag then). Sucks if I have to go for it this year as I had other plans in mind and money is tight.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Rodzilla

Yes you will loose your general pp I am in the same boat purchased a point for the last two years and now have to use them or loose them. Montana changed it so guys basically can’t do what we have done any longer.

Yes you will loose your general pp I am in the same boat purchased a point for the last two years and now have to use them or loose them. Montana changed it so guys basically can’t do what we have done any longer.
Thanks for clarifying. What a bummer (why the change?). I am going to have to change some major plans and see if my wife allows me to spend a little more money in tags than I had originally anticipated this year.

I have 3 LE elk points and 0 preference points. Should I purchase a preference point this year or steer clear. I obviously need to do some research here as it sounds like there's been some substantial changes to the system!

I have 3 LE elk points and 0 preference points. Should I purchase a preference point this year or steer clear. I obviously need to do some research here as it sounds like there's been some substantial changes to the system!
Tough call in 2021 you had better odds with zero points then one point since they allocate 25 percent of the tags to the 0 point pool, with that being said you have to draw your combo tag in order to be able to go into the LE tag so at the end of it all your guess is as good as mine! How many people by now know the odds were better on 2021 with zero over 1 point and how many are going to take the gamble. I guess if it was me I would see what else I have that is a sure bet for hunts and if it isn’t a big deal if I draw go in with zero and if it is a big deal buy a point and cross your fingers.

BradA, that's what I was wondering as well. How about with 2 points two years from now?!? ;-), any guess on odds?

Yeah montana has made it quiet interesting, on top of a already interesting application/drawing process. Two years from now I’m sure so much will change knowing montana that it’s hard to say. I would like to say you should draw but who knows anymore.
BradA, that's what I was wondering as well. How about with 2 points two years from now?!? ;-), any guess on odds?

My party better get drawn with a 2.5 point average. Just a weird system they got going
My party should draw with two point average I could buy a point and be at 2.5 point average but I don’t feel the need and think we should draw with 2 point average so no need for me to waste 100 bucks.

My party should draw with two point average I could buy a point and be at 2.5 point average but I don’t feel the need and think we should draw with 2 point average so no need for me to waste 100 bucks.
I hope that is the case. I just don’t think it’s very fair for 0 point holders to have a better chance than 1 point holders. If they want to make it a random draw that’s one thing, but having preference points and skewing them to favor lower point holders makes no sense.

So dad and I have 1 preference point each. I wanted to buy us both PP for 2022......but all I see are "outfitter preference points" ?

So if we don't apply for a big game combo we lose the preference point?

So dad and I have 1 preference point each. I wanted to buy us both PP for 2022......but all I see are "outfitter preference points" ?

So if we don't apply for a big game combo we lose the preference point?
Yes the way I read it is you are forced to apply every other year or forfeit your points. It use to be that you could purchase two points and had to apply on the third year or loose your points now you have to apply every other year or loose your points.

I hope that is the case. I just don’t think it’s very fair for 0 point holders to have a better chance than 1 point holders. If they want to make it a random draw that’s one thing, but having preference points and skewing them to favor lower point holders makes no sense.
I agree it isn’t fair and I think this year we will see all the tags get sucked up in the 3 and 2 point pool and then maybe a very small amount even less then last year go into the 1 point pool with odds being better for the zero point pool again.

I have never heard this for sure but my personal belief on the allocation of 25 percent into the 0 point pool is because of the way the system is with you having to draw your general to open the door into the limited entry draw. So guys that are more so interested in only apply and drawing a limited entry permit and not the general can have that opportunity to actually go into the limited entry draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom