Question

Killcarp2

So I'm not new to this site or elk hunting, but I did have to recently create a new account as I could no longer access my email. I am a Nevada resident but am looking to possibly put in out of state for an elk hunt. I have looked into Colorado and Idaho mainly, but I've never hunted in either state. I wanted to start a thread to get some opinions about the best state(or area) to try for a non res. Who knows maybe I'll meet somebody from another state who draws Nevada and we can tag along on each other?s hunts. Anyway, not sure if this will elicit responses but it's worth a shot.

Some questions to narrow your results.

#1 Are you looking at a onetime thing for next year, are starting a multiyear program to become a regular ?out of state? elk hunter ?

#2 Are you looking to ?fill the freezer? with tasty cows and young bulls, or dreaming of monster bulls ?

#3 Do you understand ?points? and the ?drawing game? ?

#4 Is your wife, family, boss and bank account ready for the insanity that follows ?

#1-for now looking for next year, but if it is a positive experience there is certainly potential for repeat events.

#2-I am not expecting monster bulls, I have been hunting elk long enough to know that in most states without knowing somebody or having deep pockets trophy hunts aren't happening. So I would say a bull hunt would be my primary focus but I would kill a cow also.

#3-I would say yes and no. Every state is a little different. I am looking for something that won't take forever to draw, or is pointy even otc. This is kind of what I am fishing for in this post. I am considering starting to put in for point sake in New Mexico, Utah, and possibly Arizona.

#4-My wife has put up with me long enough that I'm not worried about that. I can take as much time off as I need from work. My pocket boom however is not huge so I am looking for something that will be worth both my time and money meat wise. I will never pay a guide, so my cost is fuel, food, and tag.

What I have learned of elk hunting is it's best to get to know an area real good and hunt it. That sounds dumb I know but I have bounced around different areas in different states looking for ?the unit? I fealt was worthwhile. In hein sight they are all worth while I just needed to pick 1 and return year after year gaining on the ground knowledge every time. If you are northern NV I would go to idaho. Southern nv maybe co.

I think this applies to most all hunting, even in my home state of TN.

Yes, lots of people walk in to an area, lean against a stump and kill a big deer, elk, turkey, etc... But it seems the ones that have the most consistent success seem to hunt the same area over and over, or they put in the time in the off-season to learn an area and the movement patterns.

The biggest issue I have is choosing an area to focus on! I guess being 1500+ miles away is also an issue. And this thing called work that takes up WAY too much time! :D :D

I hunt both Idaho and Colorado. There are some good archery opportunities in Idaho. I have never been on a 2nd or 3rd season hunt in Colorado where I couldn't have got a shot at a legal bull. My one and only archery hunt in Colorado was also pretty good, saw lots of elk and a couple very nice bulls. I agree with what has already been said, learning an area well in either of those states can produce some really good elk hunting. Everyone has to pay there dues. Pick an area and stick with it for a couple years and you should do well. Good luck.

Yes, over the counter rifle hunts. The units I have hunted give out a lot of elk tags and you would think they would be overrun with hunters, but I have found that not to be the case. Most guys don't get off the roads, and very few go in more than a mile.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom