Rafting the Middle Fork Salmon

silverstatehunter

I have a raft permit for the middle fork Salmon River September 18th next year. We are on a DIY raft trip and want to hunt Elk. We are planning on hunting the Burned areas, but I was curious how the Elk hunting was this september. It is in Unit 27. Are there Elk right by the river or do we need to do day hikes and get way up high. Any Info would be awesome. Also if you have a whitewater Raft and would like to join us we have room for 2 more on the permit. Thanks

You're in luck if you want to hunt the burned areas, the whole flippin' unit has burned at one time or another!

I've seen elk on the river but most were up higher on the ridges. I would plan day trips to to higher country. You'll also should hear elk bugling while you're there that should help you locate them.

I'm not a rafter, but depending where you put in and flows, some hunters have told me their MF "float" turned into more of a "drag." And I would second the opinion of brymoore regarding animal distribution.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Thanks for the advice. Ya I know that there is a good chance that the water is going to be really low. I am actually going with a few friends that are die-hard Fly Fisherman that are sponsered so they are doing a video on the fishing. But in the mean time I want to get an elk.

Is the hunting better towards the top by Pistol creek or Loon Creek or is it better further down the river towards Big Creek? Also I heard that the bulls now are not real vocal because of the wolves. Is that true?

Thanks again for the advice

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom