Rangefinder help?

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
Looking for a little rangefinder help…I have missed a couple opportunities in the last three years on elk during muzzleloader hunts. My rangefinder keeps hitting brush and branches between the elk and myself. These are looking through big shooting lanes (3x5-4-6 foot size shooting lanes). My rangefinder keeps showing 40-50 yards when I know the range is close to 200. These have been with muzzleloader so the distance difference has been significant.

I believe it’s the cheap Cabela’s brand rangefinder. I am going looking at a Leica CRF 2400-R and or the Leupold RX 1600 TBR/W.

Does anybody have experience with either one of these. Does the Leica beam divergence help with reading through the trees. How well does the Leupold “Last Target Mode” work in the trees?

The prices are somewhat comparable… within about $100. My gut says the Leica is better but Leica rep told me the Leica utilizes the best target model. Any help would be great

Do yourself a favor and buy a Leica rangefinder-bino combo. You will be amazed how quick and reliable they are. No more fumbling back and forth between binos and rangefinder. Not only one less thing strapped around your neck but the time it takes may be the difference between a harvest or game running over the hill

I already have Swarovski binos. Switching to a range finding bingo is not in the cards. Would be a great combo but not going to happen.

Leupold, Sig Sauer or Leica. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Agree on Sig Sauer or Leica - both are top of the game rangefinders and very reliable. Not sure on Leupold - no first hand experience with that one.

Older leupolds are kinda junk IMO. The newer ones are pretty decent. I had the leupold rx-750 I believe and it crapped out on me, sent it to leupold not knowing that their warranty only covered like a year or something for their electronic optics. They were awesome enough though to give me over half off on a new model. I ended up spending just at $100 for a brand new rx-1400?? 1600? I would have to look at it, but wow that things pretty wild. I have scanned out to 1300 yards with it, it also has like 3 modes for archery, long range shooting, and I forget the other one.

I do believe though that for full price there are better out there.

I use Leica and love them. Love the double tap and hold function that keeps pinging as you range. This solves the problem you seem to be having where it ranges what's obviously the wrong object first. Not sure if Leupold has this function or not.

I use Leica and love them. Love the double tap and hold function that keeps pinging as you range. This solves the problem you seem to be having where it ranges what's obviously the wrong object first. Not sure if Leupold has this function or not.
I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but when I hold down the button in my leupold it continues to range.

If you can range an antelope during midday, in the open field at say 600yds then that is the rangefinder you want. I have done this with a Leica.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom