Rangefinding binoculars vs handheld rangefinder.

I just switched over to the combo last year and boy am I glad I did! It sure beats fumbling around and switching back and forth between binos and a rangefinder. It may save a few seconds that are the difference between harvesting a whopper or helplessly watching him bounce over the far ridge. If you have the $ the Leica combo is pretty tough to beat!

The only thing I would say is if your bow hunting with a strap on release it can be a pain to operate. Was for me anyway with old cheap stuff. The release constantly got in the way of bigger binos. Just the wrong combination of gear for me. Other than that the rangefinder Binos are the way to go.

ive gone back and forth with this for a few years. im currently using a handheld rangefinder and a set of binos. the reason i did this is because of the size of the rangefinders and the features with them. with a tether tied to the rangefinder and a case attached to my bino harness its pretty easy to use and manipulate. its all about training and knowing your equipment. having one unit is very appealing and can alleviate some of that fumbling around for the rangefinder, but, the range-finding binoculars arent as bright and clear as standard binocular. i do a lot of glassing with them, as im sure a lot of folks do. so i opted to go the two unit system, giving me a better binocular to glass through. i havent felt as if i needed to combine them yet.

The combo does give you a split second advantage while rifle hunting. Catch movement and throw up the combo confirm it’s a “shooter” hit range and move to rifle. Not having to re-acquire the animal with a separate rangefinder works well in certain situations. Worth it if you do a lot of still/stalk hunting.

If I'm rifle hunting and need to range the animal, it's far enough away to where it's being watched through the scope anyway and already know if I'm shooting or not, a handheld rangefinder is used to verify prior to shooting.

If I'm bowhunting, one hand movement to range is better than two hands or fumbling with the weight of rangefinding binos.

To me, rangefinding binos have the benefit when being the ranger/spotter for the shooter.

All rangefinders are electronic devices that will eventually fail. And with a rangefinding bino you are left with a heavy pair of binos that you paid a lot more money for.

Would like opinions on which is better for spot and stalk.

Vortex fury are what I have tried, I like them for rifle hunts a lot! Bow hunting I don't care for them, if your setup isn't dialed in real tight in bow range dealing with binoculars it can be cumbersome. I have a nice elastic cord on my shoulder strap of my harness, its really nice for my small range finder, so in tight on bow hunts I prefer that setup. I do run a rental hunting gear rental company on the site here, if you want to try the Vortex Fury feel free to click one of the adds or visit www.deepwoodsrentals.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom