Rat shot

feddoc

Long Time Member
The last couple of weeks have been spent processing brass, at least 8,000 rounds so far. Deprime, clean, check for case head separation (on my belteds), trim, de-bur, clean, size. And prime. I am about done with every caliber except 9mm and .223. I see that someone has made e swaging tool to fit into a station on Dillon presses. Gonna have to give that a try.

Then I ran across this:
ratshot.png

And that gave me some ideas.

BTW, that orange handled tool works great for detecting pending case head departure. I used to just grab a wire coat hanger, but the boss got rid of them.

80 primer boxes emptied.

20230223_124312.jpg

20230223_124320.jpg

Rat shot looks cool! Never heard of them before but I don't shoot a 50 BMG.

Brass prep always takes me way longer than the actual loading ammo by at least 3x.

Well done!

Zeke

The last couple of weeks have been spent processing brass, at least 8,000 rounds so far. Deprime, clean, check for case head separation (on my belteds), trim, de-bur, clean, size. And prime. I am about done with every caliber except 9mm and .223. I see that someone has made e swaging tool to fit into a station on Dillon presses. Gonna have to give that a try.

Then I ran across this: View attachment 103951

BTW, that orange handled tool works great for detecting pending case head departure. I used to just grab a wire coat hanger, but the boss got rid of them.

80 primer boxes emptied.

View attachment 103952

View attachment 103953
There hasn’t been much else to do with this weather. I’ve put together several thousand (by hand) in the last 2 months. Like you, running outa brass to fool around with. But 8000 is pretty impressive (y)

Re rat shot, I think it’s interesting if impractical. Are you going to try to do something similar? If I had a Dillon I wouldn’t want any shot anywhere near the machine. I’ve spent way too many hours digging shot out of the nooks and crannies of my progressive shotshell loader.

I also wonder about the powder charge and the pattern, but those are kinda “so what”. I still have a few of those pistol snake shot shells hanging around as souvenirs, but found they don’t work any better than a solid hunk of lead. Kill something with one and give us a report :)

I saw that our Big-R had 50 BMG ammo when I was in there looking for 17’s. No 17’s so maybe I need a fiddy for the prairie dogs who started popping up on Tuesday.

Then I ran across this: View attachment 103951

80 primer boxes emptied.

View attachment 103952

View attachment 103953
That’s a lot of prep work for one guy!
A paper clip works well for the case head separation also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom