rattle snake hunts

J

johnwayne

if any of u all went to wyonka oklahoma for the rattle snake hunt tell me about it or other rattle snake finds any where

Never been to one but hunt Coastal California for Blacktails and had my share of run ins with them. Here is a pic that was sent to me a while back of a bunch of the creepy crawlers.

81466480vbuvAv_ph.jpg

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin griz"

Was whitetail deer hunting in south TX in Jan. Saw one snake bout 6' long and big around as my thigh. Anaconda of the southwest.
-Raptor

one year i was helping my garandpa here in NW Oklahoma we killed
around 45 with the two of us in 3 months

i was fixing fence once and had one sittin right between my legs
it sucked a big one im glad i had my chaps on or i might not be talkin right know it tried to bight but couldnt go through the lather that sanke waws dead as soon as i got my 9milimeter revolver out of my holser though

OKEENE OK,
HUGE RATTLE SNAKE ROUND UP.
hold it every year,
we're talking big bucks for snakes, and some of the best snake barbaques you'l ever eat.
a buddy of mine made about 5600 bucks in about 25 mins. of picking,
caught 18 huge snakes in one den.
one snake brought about 700 bucks at the auction.
it was nearly 6 ft long and as big around as your forearm.

Yuck, yuck, YUCK!!! Hand me my 12 guage and that five gallons of gasoline over there please. Anybody got a match?

If anybody wants to go catch a few snakes come on down to west TX one weekend and I'll take you out.

Drum

when is the okeene rattlesnake roundup this year?

Caught a bull snake a couple of days ago turned him looose in the steel yard for keeping those others snakes out.

Dealt with LOTS of 'em!
I used to kill em all. I had a mayonaise jar filled with rattles at one time.
Anymore I just swish them off the road.
My kid was bitten when he was about three years old.I found a big old rattler buzzing away in his sandbox.
I rushed him to the hospital and it turned out to be a "dry bite"
and no venom was released.
Took A Year Off My Life Though!!!!!!

No offense to anyone, but I have never understood the logic behind these rattlesnake hunts.

We live and work among the prairie rattlers here in SW Saskatchewan, and it has been a long road to educating the people in the area about these, and other snakes. This is extreme redneck country, and there is a history of folklore and myth surrounding the snakes. The most common response we get from people who kill them on sight is "great grand dad did it, grand dad did it, daddy did it,and mow I am doing it, and my kids are going to learn to do it too."

Thankfully the federal government has stepped in to protect these snakes, and we run a conservation and education program to promote stewardship and preservation of a native species at risk. Often when I am in the process of moving a snake off the road, or out of an area where they could come into conflict with people I am asked if I have a shovel. A shovel will only serve to clean up the mess I will make of the guy if he steps out of his truck to harm the snake.

We are finding that when we have an opportunity to educate the same people who fear and loathe these reptiles, they seem to come to an understanding of their nature and contribution to a healthy ecosystem.

So, go ahead and goon me all you like for trashing these round ups. I have seen what goes on at the events, and witnessed the mentality or lack there of, of the people participating in the slaughter. Just because I dont agree with it, doesnt mean it is going to stop. I dont agree with federal taxes, the price of gasoline, gun legislation or stupid people having children, but it is going to happen anyways.

There is a militant bunch who are working toward educating the people and stopping these round ups, and they will be at the events posted in this forum. Education is the first step in protecting ones self from the risk of an encounter with a snake. Most of these tactics never occurred to our forefathers, as snakes were not even native to the areas our pioneers came from.

Feel free to contact me with your comments, criticism and ideas. The education and conservation program is free to the public, and provides valuable and simple information on the nature of the snake, and ways to avoid conflict with these creatures. There is also a rattlesnake rescue and relocation project in place, as some of these snakes go into facilities where their venom is collected to produce anti-venin and other life saving medicines. Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-04 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]august something , check with the Okeene Ok. chamber of comerce.
Its a big deal. and it helps collect venom to all sorts of studies.
its not a rampage kill all they see and through them in the streets and dance around the carcusses.
there are lots of food venders buying the meat, hide buyers purchasing the skins. and after the celibration is over they turn the little ones loose in the hill again.
they are kind of guarded and protected the rest of the year,
I'm going to try to make it out there and pick up some smoked rattler to take up hunting in the mtns. this year.

JOHN WAYNE
Did you put in for a draw to hunt big game this year or you just do snakes?
JACK ,RACKMASTER

racks master i got a ranch in Nw Oklahoma so i can hunt for free
besides buying my tags they are pretty cheap here thought

if any of u all kive in nw ok tell me and come huntin

My son found a rattler behind camp last year that would've fed your whole camp for a week. Never saw him stretched out because he was coiled up at the entrance to a cave, but he was BIG. Easily bigger around than a good-sized forearm.

WH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-04 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]Snake eggs are great!! With goats milk!! and it don't taste like chicken!
Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom