Rattling and calls

B

BrownsandBucks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-14 AT 07:45AM (MST)[p]Hi guys, I hunt inland blackmails each season in California on public ground, always have success but I am always looking to expand and learn more, thats the best part of it right. Do an of you ever try rattling or use calls? I was thinking of trying them this year later in the season like mid October to closing weekend. Aside from fawn bleats and doe response the only sounds I ever get from the bucks are snort weez when I am in tight with them, 20 yards or less and hoof pound to alert others. We hunt super thick stuff thus the close distance with the deer. Any response is helpful and thanks in advance.

Last season when I was hunting in Cali, the blacktails were rutting hard the week I was there. I grabbed a couple sheds from the ranch house and headed to an area on the property I've seen a lot of bucks in the past. Within the first hour of rattling, I had two nice bucks come in for a look.

A few days later I took my cousin out to try and rattle a buck in. We hit a few areas with no luck.

It's just like rattling here in Oklahoma, got to be in the right place at the right time

We had some success using a fawn bleat distress call. The call gets the does' attention and they come to the "fawn's" assistance. Any bucks that are with the does will follow them in. Obviously, it works better during the rut.

I've mentioned here before, my leather ammo pouch has the end of the top flap, cut out just enough to allow my varmint call to slide down in there and be handy for use.

Sometimes it works, others it doesn't. I've often seen Does come in that were major pissed off.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom