Rattling

T

texhunter

Anyone hunt around Coke county Tx, I'm really wanting to try and rattle up a buck but not sure when the best time would be to do it. My lease is in Coke county and we just got our first cold spell. Right now it's about 3pm and 45 degrees. Any thoughts?

texhunter...Hope you mean Cooke county. Anywho, I hunt just north of Abilene and the locals tell me the peak of rut is mid-Nov. In your area you should be in the prerut and that is prime time to rattle. Also use grunt tubs and doe bleats, (the Can). You should hit it about right. Cool weather helps since bucks won't be as nocturnal as they are when the weather is warmer.

Good luck hope you take the biggest buck on the lease.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I hunt in Central Tx and had a buddy rattle one in one Monday. 18" 10 point. It was warm that day and he came in fast. The next day he had a spike and small buck also come to the horns. I have tried but had no takers. The rut is on around us.

Craig_k,

Just curious what town or area of central Tx your huntin'. I'v spent many a day bowhuntin' down there (Brady/Bandera). There's some beautiful country in there if you know where to look. Anyways, good luck.

Huntsalone

Huntsalone, I have hunted Brady/Colman area many times. That's where I started hunting with my dad. I hunt most of the time around central Tx. I do have an archery hunt on the Chaparral(South Tx) starting Dec 1st. I hope we have some cold weather to get the bucks moving. I was down there last week and saw several good bucks. What area around Brady do you hunt? When I am not hunting I spend a lot of time at Lake Ivie which is 30-40 miles West of Brady. Some really good deer and a lot of turkey out therr, but the fishing is out of this world.

Craig_k,

I remember good things about the Chaparral. In fact, if I remember correctly it's VERY good? I grew up in San Antonio so I spent most of my early years hunting game down south (Del Rio/Carrizo Springs/ Uvalde) and north west of S.A (Bandera).
I have been fortunate enough to have been invited to my buddy's "long time" family cattle ranch (just approx. 15 mi. SE of the town of Brady/ on your way to Austin coming from Brady I belive) that really was never hunted or fished hard at all. Very big piece of land! That place has "awsome" abundant whitetails (great natural genetics), scary sized ferals rolling over the hills everywhere, flocks of turkeys. No game fences or any of that. Actually has Indian drawings on the river bed walls. Brady Creek runs throught the ranch, holds Abundant bass/ catfish/ carp/ gar's. I would through a popper out from my fly rod, and either pull out a fat bass/ carp/ or have a big Gar come chasing it. Man I love that place! Just shows what can happen if lands or waters are not pressured hard and given time to develop. Did some excellent bow huntin' by RockSprings too, ever been around there? Anyways, have a blast, & good luck down there. Be sure and post a picture or your story if you have success.

Huntsalone

Huntsalone, have you ever hunted the Chaparral? If so, do you have any tips? I have never hunted around Rocksprings, but I do have a bow trip in Jan down around Johnson City. Never been there but I hear it is great hunt. If the place you hunted in Brady is on the road from Llano to Brady than I drive by it everytime I go up there. In fact my mom and dad are hunting around Brady/Lake Ivie this weekend. I am taking my son and his friend down to Chaparral next weekend for a youth spike/doe hunt. That sould be a lot of fun. I don't know if I ever told you but I am in Georgetown. Where are you?

craig_k,

I have never hunted Chaparral, if your speaking of the wildlife management area. I know that it is in Dimmit/LaSalle counties which has some of the best whitetail hunting in the state. It's been VERY well managed by the wildlife department. Shouldn't have any problem getting your son a doe or spike. Bring a camara, and maybe some rattlin horns for fun after your son gets his deer, there are some really amazing bucks in there. Should be a lot of fun! Johnson City area has many many deer, shouldn't be as spooky as some areas, allowing for a great bow hunt. Those are fun hills to hunt. I just moved from northern Colorado to western Montana. But I miss that southern huntin', it's a blast. I try to make it down there once a year. Best of luck to you and your son! Let me know how Chaparrel was when you return.
Huntsalone

i hunt in central texas never had any luck rattling we have a place in junction that we hunt i also live in georgetown sure has been some terrible weather for deer hunting

Huntsalone, let me know when you are down this way. Maybe I can help you out with some info. ck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom