Rawlins Info

COSA

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-10 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]May be recieving job offer soon. What is the town like? Housing kind of looks like slim picking? Recreation? Schools? I know its cold & windy, no wal-mart (which is not all bad), and have heard the stories about oil/gas towns. I'd be coming from a small town in Northern NV, so the remoteness and the wind don't bother me. It's kind of always been a goal of mine to live in Wyoming, though I'm hesitant in this economy.

Cosa, I see that you've no reply's yet so i'll offer from the prospective of a hunter that spent a couple days in town.

The town seems to be on both sides of the highway, plus there is a railroad track mixed in there too so it's not isolated,or very quiet, at all. The town also seems to be spread out, i didn't see any upscale neighborhoods but did see a lot of Mobil or modular type units spread out on lots that weren't kept up all that well. Seemed everywhere you looked, there was a place to fix your tires or get your rig fixed.

The downtown area was my favorite place. There's an excellent sporting goods store there, Bi- Rite i think, great inventory and nice knowledgeable people working it but pretty high prices. The greasy spoon next door is the place to meet up with the boys in the morning, have a cup a joe, find out what price heifers are going for, slap the waitress on the fanny, and maybe get a half order of bisqets and gravy.

The sandwich shop/ restaurant/bar back the other way on the corner, is like a fun sports bar decorated with tons of nostalgic items and vintage pictures. They must have 10 TV's in there, with good quick food, nice young waitresses, and decent cost. Fuel is cheaper than where i live by a bunch. The people were really nice, didn't hear a bad word said.

Seemed to me that most people were working. I saw no homeless and nobody hit me up for change or "gas money" while i was there.
I get the idea that the place could use more shade, more big trees. Not a very pretty town IMO, but from my research, lots of pretty good hunting almost any direction that you want to go.

I asked my Pard if he could see himself moving to that town of Rawlins...he said NO WAY!! I'd have to agree. Admittedly, we didn't see the whole town but from what we saw, there are other places in Wyoming that i'd much rather live.

my $.02
Joey

I have to agree with Joey on this town too...never seemed like much and the first time I was there was back in 1976 after hunting in COLO and took a few days after to go into WY and back by way of Steamboat Springs.
Casper is not bad but I would have to check out a place pretty good before moving there.
Rock Springs and Green River are not much either...lots of "drug scum" there.

Brian

http://i48.tinypic.com/238eb6.jpg[/IMG]

COSA,

Like any small town in western America, it is and will be what you make of it. The bottom line is that Rawlins, like many other central and southern Wyoming towns, is an industry driven town (oil and gas - boom and bust), with what is considered (in modern America I guess) few amenities. It can be kind of frustrating if you're used to living in clean and tidy suburbia, and you won't be able to satisfy your every want and need within several city blocks.

The schools have had their ups and downs, no doubt. During the last boom (1980's), the school district was the second richest in the U.S., but since we now re-apportion our oil and gas tax revenues with the rest of the state, things aren't quite so flush. From what we've experienced since our kids have been in school, the district is on an upwards swing quality wise (overall education, scholastics, sports, and faculty.) It seems like we're getting more and more kids returning from college to teach our children and put back into the community they grew up in, which is great in my mind.

Housing can run hot and cold, but from what I'm seeing, it's a bit of a buyer's market at this time, with alot on the market, ranging from unlivable crap to higher-end, newer neighborhoods where prices average the mid 200's (which is pretty high for this area.) Count on spending upwards of 150-175 for a nicer middle class place.

Recreation speaks for itself, you can find plenty on these boards about the area and its draws. There's also a world class shooting range w/ trap, skeet, archery, and a rifle range out past 1000 yds. There's a "high desert" type golf course next to town and a river bottom course next door along the Platte. Mountains are (reletively) close in all directions. Although there's bad apples like anywhere, the people for the most part are great.

I imagine that coming from northern Nevada, it wouldn't be much of a culture shock for you. I would advise that anyone that has to have all of the modern conveniences within immediate access, can't stand cold and windy days (or hot and windy days, or mild and windy days...) and needs to be in the middle of a lush green forest or putting green, might not consider coming to this area. Anyone that can't find the beauty in the "big empty" high desert probably would go crazy here. I'll probably take some flack for this, but IMO, the quality of life in any boom and bust energy town is much, much better during the bust times (which we're in at the moment.)

Best of luck with your decision and job.

Bi-Rite Sporting Goods is all you need to know!! HaHa. We stop there every year to buy our conservation stamp. We stay in Rock Springs and get to Rawlins just before Bi-Rite opens. Nice call Joey!

We only drive through and don't spend much time there. I also like the older part of town but always notice the "shanty town" just as you get back on the freeway. I shouldn't say shanty town but all the small corals reminds me of how a "shanty town" in Indonesia would look like. Personally, if I was going to move to WY, Rawlins wouldn't be on my list of pretty places to live. Just my 2 cents...

Steve

Kinda funny how no one wants to live here-they just want to come and take stuff.I guarantee there is as much "drug scum" in California as you'll find anywhere.BTW,the drug scum seems to show up from other states whenever we are in a "boom" cycle.Just my opinion after living here for 35 years.Every town or city has it's own"shanty town",also.I'll put my neighborhood and house up against any town in this country.BTW,I live in drug-infested Rock Springs after living in that drug-hole Green River for over 30 years.If you like hunting and fishing,good schools for your kids,and friendly people on the street,as well as low crime,you are headed in the right direction.Rawlins may not be the prettiest town you'll ever set foot in,but it beats L.A.,etc.ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

nontypical, I think you are out of line!

The man asked a question and i, among others, gave him my impression of Rawlins. I've hunted and fished all over the Western United states these past 40 years or so and really, can't say i've seen a town i'd rather not live in. Yes, my reply to him was sugarcoated a bit but as i said and in fairness, i was only there a couple days and didn't see everything to be seen.

As far as drug scum, if there is some there, that's probably more than we have where i live. True i like the high country with timber, lots of creeks, and surrounded by National Forest instead of the high desert but again, i offered up my opinion.

Yes, i guess i come to Wyoming to take. In order to take, i pay a huge fees and costs to do so. Last year, my trip within the Wy borders cost over $3000.,I took a muley buck and a Antelope. Would you say that was a fair trade? I also bought a fishing license that i didn't use and a small game license that went unused. So i guess Non-Resi's burn your butt but we do pay our way and the large majority are respectful and leave it better than we found it.

Say what you want, Wyoming has some beautiful places to live but this guy, me, is not going to put Rawlins high on the list!!

Joey

Thanks for the responses, kind of what I expected. It will probably come down to me & the wife driving over there to look around for a weekend if the job works out.

Hey Joey-I guess I'm out of line with my opinion,but you're not with yours?I just get a little fed up sometimes with the stereotypes that some people tend to put on Wyoming.But then they all want to come here for the great outdoors we have!I have NOTHING against non-residents AT ALL!Don't put words in my mouth!That being said,your nonresident money does absolutely nothing for me-I work for a living!Nothing I said was directed at you.What torqued me off was the "drug scum" crap.I get sick of hearing that.I have made some GREAT friends(non-resi) on this site,and have opened my home to them to stay,fed them,and showed them some awesome hunting!So your remarks are "out of line"!!COSA-since you come from northern Nevada,I think you can probably relate fairly well to the area.Also,there are other places to live close by Rawlins if you don't care for the place.Saratoga is a nice little town closer to the mtns!

"Kinda funny how no one wants to live here-they just want to come and take stuff"

"BTW,the drug scum seems to show up from other states whenever we are in a "boom" cycle."

"I have NOTHING against non-residents AT ALL!Don't put words in my mouth!"

Nontypical, i don't have to put words in your mouth, you did!

I do see your side of this topic though, you just don't seem to see ours. Maybe my reply was a bit harsh.

Happy hunting!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-10 AT 10:40PM (MST)[p]I travel all over the State and go to Rawlins a few times a month. I still haven't found the nice part of town. Mostly because it doesn't exist. If they were gonna give the state of Wyoming an enema, they'd insert the tube somewhere near Rawlins. Gillette and Rock Springs are tied for second...

Well, I've never been there so I really don't have a dog in this fight. I would make one comment though - A town is generally as "nice" as its people. Those that I've met from Rawlins ( some on here ) have been great. So, it couldn't be that bad. Chip

Rawlins has some great country near it. There's world-class antelope in the area and you can always get a license for them in one area or another. There are really good mule deer in that country. And the elk hunting is also good. Plus, you don't have to go far for fishing.

I go through town often anad find the people to be nice. Sure, it's a boom/bust town like many in Wyoming, but I know several good people from there and it has world-class recreation near to it. Rawlins is a little "sneaky" like many parts of Nevada. If you just drive through the area on I-80, you'll think there is not much around there. But get off the main road and into the back country and you will see some great outdoor opportunities.

And in Wyoming, you'll be able to get deer, elk and antelope licenses every year. Coming from Nevada, you will think you have come to hunting heaven.

Okay,Joey.Maybe I was a little harsh myself.Just get a little chapped sometimes about the drug thing.We have cleaned up our act about that considerably over the last coupla years.I do not have a problem with nonresidents;can't blame you guys for wanting to hunt here.Good hunting to ya.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-10 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]To me, it's all it's all subjective. There was a thread a couple years ago, i think it was in the Kali Forum, where we were all calling each others towns "holes" or "pits". Although a lot of the posts were done in jest, some got their feelings hurt but the thread went on none the less and we come back to visit that joke every once in awhile.

Some of you guys posts, just up above, remind me of my friends trying to set me up with one of their not so good looking female friends. :)

I'll say this. In all my travels, i've not ever found a better or nicer class of people, if there is such a thing, than those that have been long time residents of Wyoming. Through the years, the people of Wyoming couldn't have been more outgoing or nicer to me in any way!!! To me, that says a lot!!

Joey

I'll say this. In all my travels, i've not ever found a better or nicer class of people, if there is such a thing, than those that have been long time residents of Wyoming. Through the years, the people of Wyoming couldn't have been more outgoing or nicer to me in any way!!! To me, that says a lot!!

Joey

Well said Joey and I agree with you on that and the same goes to other states. Every state has its "arm pits" so to speak but in all never had anyone not be hospitable when in their states.

Brian
http://i48.tinypic.com/238eb6.jpg[/IMG]

I have hunted in and around Rawlins several times and the folks there have been very friendly to me [and I had oregon Lic. plates]. One thing that I might add is Rawlins is the home of the state pen so that probably adds to the number of less expensive homes in the area. Oh ya the wind does blow there too. I live in Oregon and would move to Rawlins in a second to get out of this liberal hell hole if I wasnt tied down by business . Good Luck

Wyoming has some advantages over Nevada in the hunting dept. Rawlins is a dry area,and there is no town in Nevada that windy, its not the most desireable town by most peoples standards, but Ill bet the people are fine and theres plenty to do if you like the outdoor lifestyle. Just where in Nevada are you from? I went from Pleasant valley, near Elko to Pinedale Wyoming, and it was a great move, Pinedale and Rawlins are different places though.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom