RBs in a TC Black Diamond

stinky

My family drew 3 elk tags for the Grand Mesa (out my east window). That presents somewhat of a problem as I only 2 have smoke-poles.

So....I'm rooting around a the local pawn shop and find not one, but 2 Thompson Black Diamond rifles. I was going to put 1 on lay-a-way, but he let me take 1 to try- out.

I looked up the Black Diamond on the net and found a manual (but not on the TC web-site). They make no mention of a load for round balls. The gun is rated for 150 grains of Pyrodex w/a 385 grainer. I am going to contact TC w/this question.

It has a 1-28 twist.

But, is anybody shooting a TC Black Diamond, or other inline w/a round ball? What sort of load?
John 14:6

i have the black diamond XR but i dont know the answer to your question about round balls.

Im currently looking for a load that shoots good that is legal in idaho. i tried the power belts but they were all over the place. i need to try different powders in the next week and get it dialed down. Sorry im no help, but looking for a good load that groups myself.

Travis
www.SkullHanger.com

Round balls will shoot out of an inline but 1-28" twist is way to fast to shoot them very accurately. Think of a baseball pitcher. The ones that can make the ball spin faster are the ones with the meanest curve. I used to shoot them with 30 to 40 grains of powder to try and slow the velocity down to try and slow the twist down. I could hit a milk jug most of the time at 20 yards but still. For cheap shooting with a load that will hammer critters, get the .50 cal track of the wolf maxi-ball and lube them yourself with bore butter or track of the wolf lube.

Good luck,

Todd

A neighbor of ours uses a TC Black Diamond .50 for elk in Colorado. He uses 777 powder at 100 grains by volume measure and uses the Hornady 350 grain bullets called FPB. His old Diamond is pretty accurate using this load. do not know his primer choice. He will be carrying his Diamond on September 12 in Colorado seeking a cow elk.

Are you determined to shoot only round balls? If so, I would look elsewhere for a gun (with a slower twist). That said there are a number of conical bullets that would shoot well.

You better hurry!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

DO NOT SHOOT AT/HUNT ELK with Round Balls!

Seen many a Elk killed that were Packin a Round Ball or two that had done nothing more than went through the Hide!

You want to Kill an Elk,Right?

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-15 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]A 1:48 twist or higher/slower is more ideal for roundball. Your 1:28 twist shoots sabot/bullets the best. Easy-to-find options for the Black Diamond are Hornady Great Plains conicals and Powerbelts. Many more options available, should you buy online.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom