Re-barrel savage

jgriffin82

I've got a pre accutrigger savage 116 in 300 RUM that I'd like to re-barrel. I am leaning towards the 6.5x55. What are some other good options for this action? I'd prefer to stay away from big magnum cartridges. Thanks.

Jim

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Big fan of the swede. There's a reason that cartridge has been around for so long. I flat out shoots and works awesome putting critters down. And with the latest bullets and powder choices it's even better IMO.

jgriffin82

I know the 6.5x284 Norma is normally a short action cartridge. Is there any advantage to putting it into a long action? If I were to go with the Swede, i'd likely shoot 120-140 grain copper bullets. Is a 1:8" twist a good choice in a 24" barrel?

Last edited:

SlowElk

Savage bolts can change the bolt face easily. It comes off, so you can get the bolt face to match the Swede. There's a company that will change barrel and bolt face as a package, I think it is E.R Shaw. They also have recommendations for barrel twist vs. bullet weight on the website.

ce61

I have done some savage barrel swapping, most of the 300 RUM barrels are larger thread diameter barrels, so make sure you get the right one.

ce61

The last few barrels I have got were from northlandshootersupply.com . I changed a 300 wsm into a 6br for a friend, who was just target shooting with it. Also did a Remage barrel and turned a 270 into a 260 rem. Both barrels were criterions and both shot well, wouldn't hesitate to get another one. ce61

jgriffin82

Thanks for the responses guys. I've had good luck with the McGowen barrel I bought to convert a savage from 30.06 to 280 AI. It shoots straight. For this current build, I ended up with a SS McGowen in 6.5x55, 1:8" twist, 24", no muzzle brake. I'll be getting a bolt head from PTG and the headspace gauges from 4D reamer rentals to complete the conversion. I'm trying to keep this a low buck build. Hopefully I won't need any gunsmith work. The action was blueprinted/trued along with a Timney trigger and glass bedding back in 2005 by Scott Null @ Savage Gunsmithing in Driggs Idaho.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom