Re-barrel savage

jgriffin82

I've got a pre accutrigger savage 116 in 300 RUM that I'd like to re-barrel. I am leaning towards the 6.5x55. What are some other good options for this action? I'd prefer to stay away from big magnum cartridges. Thanks.

Jim

Big fan of the swede. There's a reason that cartridge has been around for so long. I flat out shoots and works awesome putting critters down. And with the latest bullets and powder choices it's even better IMO.

I know the 6.5x284 Norma is normally a short action cartridge. Is there any advantage to putting it into a long action? If I were to go with the Swede, i'd likely shoot 120-140 grain copper bullets. Is a 1:8" twist a good choice in a 24" barrel?

Last edited:
Savage bolts can change the bolt face easily. It comes off, so you can get the bolt face to match the Swede. There's a company that will change barrel and bolt face as a package, I think it is E.R Shaw. They also have recommendations for barrel twist vs. bullet weight on the website.

I have done some savage barrel swapping, most of the 300 RUM barrels are larger thread diameter barrels, so make sure you get the right one.

The last few barrels I have got were from northlandshootersupply.com . I changed a 300 wsm into a 6br for a friend, who was just target shooting with it. Also did a Remage barrel and turned a 270 into a 260 rem. Both barrels were criterions and both shot well, wouldn't hesitate to get another one. ce61

Thanks for the responses guys. I've had good luck with the McGowen barrel I bought to convert a savage from 30.06 to 280 AI. It shoots straight. For this current build, I ended up with a SS McGowen in 6.5x55, 1:8" twist, 24", no muzzle brake. I'll be getting a bolt head from PTG and the headspace gauges from 4D reamer rentals to complete the conversion. I'm trying to keep this a low buck build. Hopefully I won't need any gunsmith work. The action was blueprinted/trued along with a Timney trigger and glass bedding back in 2005 by Scott Null @ Savage Gunsmithing in Driggs Idaho.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom