real alaska adventure

LOL! Those guys earned .08 frequent flyer miles!

When I was on a solo unguided caribou hunt in Alaska, I was dropped off about 125 air miles from Illiamna. I was all alone in the world. I mean NOBODY for miles and miles. On the third night, I was woke up at about 2:00AM by the sound of an airplane circling overhead. I opened my eyes and the whole place was lit up like daylight! I peeked out the tent and all I could see was this bright light floating in the sky above me. About the time it dimmed and went out, the plane circled again and let out another big bright light. Over the next hour the plane dropped 4 or 5 more lights. I got dressed and stood outside the tent just looking, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. And then the plane just took off! I layed awake the rest of the night trying to figure out what I had done wrong, lol, or what the deal was.

The next morning at first light a big military helicopter buzzed in and landed about 100 yards from my tent. I decided to walk over and get to the bottom of it! Not only did they keep me up all night, but now they're ruining my hunting. I got about half way to the helicopter and it lifted off and left! What the heck????? As it got lighter, I could see all these white objects scattered around camp. I walked over to one and it was a parachute that the lights were attatched to. I brought one home so I would have proof that it actually happened, lol.

Later in the week, when my plane showed up, I told the pilot what happened. He finally figured out that he had heard of a plane wreck not too far from my camp and they may have accidentally thought I was part of that.

125 miles from the nearest road and I can't sleep because of all the traffic! Seems like that's the story of my life!:)

Steve

I would say it sounds more like too much Crown Royal, but that is your story and I guess you will stick to it huh Steve. LOL

I use to have those small Parachutes too from VN, I would fire them off from a small hand held device and they will for sure light up the area.

Now go back to sleep ET.

Brian

My fear of flying is founded. Last time I flew a bush plane, my uncle flew and had similar experience. If I can't get there on four wheels or four legs, forget about it!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom