recipes for 300 win mag

wybighorn

First off - I'm new to reloading. However, I seem to feel comfortable and am happy with the Barnes tipped TSX 180 grains. It has a good BC and SD. The BC is not has high as Berger bullets but like I said, I think it's the bullet I want to try for now. But because I'm new to reloading, I'm open to any suggestions.

Does anyone have a favorite recipe(s) for reloading this gun?

75-grs RL22, Fed215 primer, Brass of choice, and 180gr bullet of your desire. I have never had a 300WM that did not shoot well with that load.

I use 77 gr of RE-22, Fed 215M and a 180 TSX in a Win case. keep it off the lands a fair distance because it's MAX in all 3 of my guns, but safe. very accurate and right at 3200 fps.

I don't know how new to reloading you are, but I would suggest you purchase a Barnes manual, or at the very least get some information off the Barnes website. You will want to start at the minimum powder charges listed in the manual and work your way up carefully. The above loads may be safe in the rifles of the gentlemen who posted the information, but they may not be safe in yours. The maximum charge of RL 22 behind a 180 grain TSX in the Barnes manual is 73.0 grains.

BTW, I shot that bullet from a .300 WM in the Barnes factory load at a 2.5 yr old 9-point buck this year. He was quartering to and I hit him in the shoulder. He flipped over backward and never moved a muscle. I'm hoping I get a chance to shoot that rifle at something larger this fall! I'm also looking forward to working up a few different handloads for it.

Good luck and be careful!

My load is directly from the Nosler manual and was the most accurate load listed but VERY TRUE always work up! 75-grs you are safe.

I have 300 WM in Rem 700 bdl that does not like RL22 with a 180 grain pill. So I thought I would give you a couple of different powder loads that you might want to work up too.

IMR 4350 67 grains, this is a pretty slow load at about 2800 fps, but very accurate.
IMR 4831 72 grains, this will get you about 3000 fps
H4831sc 72 grains, this is also a bit slower load about 2875 but is just nails is my gun.
IMR 7828 76.8 grains, is runs a tad over 3000 fps

Good luck!
Dan

Sorry for the late post, but I have not been on the site for a while. Work, home and office gets in the way sometimes.

I have a 300WM Browning X-Bolt that I shoot 180gr Nolser Partitions with 75gr RL-22. CCI primer in a Remington or Winchester casing.

I also have a 300WM Remington 700 that I shoot Barnes TTSX 180's with 73gr RL-19. Again a CCI primer and Remington or Winchester casing.

I achieve excellent results with both. The Browning has a 26" barrel so it pushes the pill between 3,050 and 3,100fps. The 24" barrel on the Remington achieves 2,700 to 2,800fps.

The Remington with the Barnes made a sub 1" group at 200yds once. The stars were aligned, the shooter was on and the Remington did its best.

200 gr. Partitions and Accubonds. IMR 4831.
Those 200 grainers will surpass the 180's the further they go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom