Recoil tolerant scope?

mozey

Long Time Member
Don't know if this has been beat to death or not, but I'm looking for scope suggestions for my Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM. Originally topped with a Sightron Big Sky 3.5X10X42, it used to shoot like a dream, but as the years have gone on the groups first started getting larger and now they're totally unpredictable. On my third set of mounts which are not making much of a difference, so now my focus is on the scope, which I suspect has not stood up to the recoil.

Anybody with the same rifle found a scope that stands up to the abuse?

I don't mind spending extra bucks if it can stand up to the recoil and last more than a couple years, but I'm not especially anxious to spend a $1K+ on something that will need to be replaced again in a couple years...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-12 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]Mozey,
I have a leupold vari X III 4.5-14 X 50 on my 30-378 for years and have never had an issue. I don't see how you can go wrong with Leupold. They praise Huskemaw and Nightforce too so you have choices.
BB

Much thanks Bruin--if you don't me asking, what kind of bases/rings are you using with that setup?

I have conetrol rings + bases on my .300 WSM, .30-378 weatherby, and .375 H&H. Never had an issue with them, and they look better than any other system out there. As far as scope, I think leupold, swarovski, zeiss, would all easily stand up to the recoil.

Mozey,
I'm not 100% positive but I would guess that the rings and bases I bought are Leupold for my 30-378. I had to use the higher ring bases since i wanted to use the 50MM lens. I think Talley rings are highly regarded too if you want to look at those. get the Leupold VariX III and Leupold rings and you will not have any more problems. I read some people on here having Leupold issues but Leupold usually stands behind their products 100% I have never had any issues so I don't know for sure. best wishes on what you end up with.
BB

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]Do you have another rifle or scope that you "KNOW" is on or works well? You could switch your "scope in question" to that known good shooter to verify it still holds true, or you can mount the "known good scope" to your rifle in question and see if the groups get better.

With that said, I would make certain that you have thoroughly cleaned the rifle of excessive copper. Have you run something like CR-10 or Butch's Bore Shine or Sweets through your barrel? Sometimes, you will be surprised how much copper can build up in your barrel. Also, have you changed loads or components? That can make a huge difference too. As a handloader, I am still amazed at the difference half a grain of powder can make with groups.

Also, check the parralax on your scope. With the rifle firmly placed in a vice or similar, look through to your target at 100 yards. Then, with your face not touching the stock, move your face around a little bit and see what happens to your crosshairs. If you are not touching the stock, it shouldn't move more than half an inch to an inch at 100 yards. I have had "good" scopes show parralax in excess of 3-4" at 100 yards. That can make a huge difference in your group size. If you have that kind of Paralax, then send it in to be reset. I have read really good things about Sightron and their Customer Service too.

I have learned a lot about the parralax issue by running the "zero matic" machine for a local gun range. Sometimes that is an eye opening experience, but I have learned a lot. Both about scopes and rifles, and.....people.

I have a Weaver V-9 that has held its zero on EVERY rifle I have mounted it on. I have had terrific luck with my Burris Signature Select and a Burris Fullfield II. That said, I have seen great luck with really cheap scopes holding zero and really expensive scopes not holding zero. Even the best can go bad on occasion. I once owned a Redfield Tracker that was mounted on my Win 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. Parralax was huge on that scope. I sent it in for repair and they were able to fix it. I sold that scope to a buddy as I had to buy the Weaver while it was in being repaired. He has used it now for years on a Model 700 in .30-06 and it is still good to go.

Let us know what you find out.

FH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom