Red Desert Road Conditions

COSA

Was planning on hunting unit 92 for Antelope starting Thursday. Looks like some weather is forecasted for Friday & Saturday. I've heard that the roads can get bad with moisture in this region. Will I have problems if I stick to the main roads and use the ATV on the secondary roads? How fast do the roads dry out? Thanks.

Really depends on where in the area you're planning on hunting....most of the area is not too bad when wet, but ANYWHERE around the Tri Territory area, sand dunes, Steamboat mountain...are going to get nasty fast, takes a bit to dry out too. The main road is actually the worst around there. Chains don't help a whole lot either, as it is mostly clay and will just clog up the chains....kind of hard to get around even with an atv. We have a joke (actually the truth), that the only time you're on the road is when you're crossing from one ditch to the other. Best of luck, there are some good antelope in that area, got a nice one out there in '06.

We were out there hunting two weeks ago so was dry and very dusty. Some of the county roads with gravel will be OK but probably have a lot of folks on them and would guess the other roads would be a greasy mess driving on them.

The quality of the goats wasn't quite as great as we had wished: scouting we turned up a few nice 14 inchers but saw a lot of 12 - 13 inchers. My son end-up taking our number one buck which is a nice 78 incher his best goat so he was very very excited. We use the spotting scope to locate and judge the bucks before we would set up a stalk on them. We stalked in 1 1/4 miles on his and waiting 45 minutes for the long shot.

Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom