Refunds if they close the season?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
So, the rule is that you can get a refund up to 30 days prior to hunt. But what if THEY close the season 2 weeks before the start of the season? Will they refund your money then?

Good question. South Dakota did not close spring turkey season but is still offering a refund for those who choose to turn in their tags. Nebraska is allowing non-residents that already bought a turkey license to show uo and hunt but they pulled the plug on selling anymore tags.

In Colorado, big game license revenues, especially NR $, is huge. Not sure how CPW would be able to give all that $ back and still remain operational as we know it.

If the CPW was ethical they would have published their policy if something was to happen this fall. Same with all the other states also. Right now my guess is they will give you choice of money back or points back but not both. My 2 cents.

They sent me an email telling me to enjoy my spring turkey season, but that I might not get my license for a while. I can print out my temporary authorization and carry that with me . Butt they asked me to please don't cheat by shooting more than one.

I doubt they do that with my moose license. :unsure:

If the CPW was ethical they would have published their policy if something was to happen this fall. Same with all the other states also. Right now my guess is they will give you choice of money back or points back but not both. My 2 cents.

If they cancel, they should give back money AND points. You are probably right though. They will be fighting for their financial life if this happens.

But it they do that, I think we would have a basis for a class action law suit. If I were a resident and lost my license fees, I probably would just consider it my contribution. But if a NR plans to hunt elk and deer this year, and if they cancel and not return both, we would be out over $1000 plus cost of years of collecting points. That is more than my our fair share contribution

Last edited:
Hate to speculate, hope it won't happen. But on the odd chance that it DID happen, it needs to be points back AND a point for this year. The elk hunt I applied for takes every point I've got to barely draw it. Losing this year's point would mean a delay of 5-7 years to draw.

Colorado's big game seasons are a cash cow. It could be a replay of the Walking Dead and we'd still have a season. However, Mama allowing Dad to go on a out of state elk hunt when you are currently unemployed and can't find toliet paper is something I don't see happening.

A couple hunert guys will storm the capital in protest if they ask them to turn in their sheep/goat/moose tags. Guaranteed.

Last edited:
99 percent sure it wouldn't happen too much money. But if it it did I would liken it to having a government official telling me "for your own good" to turn your guns in. It get to the point where a free American needs to start thinking for themselves

They sent me an email telling me to enjoy my spring turkey season, but that I might not get my license for a while. I can print out my temporary authorization and carry that with me . Butt they asked me to please don't cheat by shooting more than one.

I doubt they do that with my moose license. :unsure:
You got a moose license, you turkey!

Colorado's big game seasons are a cash cow. It could be a replay of the Walking Dead and we'd still have a season.

It's not being in the woods that would make them cancel. It is the hoard of NR (and resident) hunters that invade the state, stay at hotels, shop in Walmart, etc that could spread the virus (and take it back home to their state). If the whole state is still under "shelter in place" I can't see them allowing the season to go on. So we better not be still in lockdown by then!

Bluehair, if this would have happened 2 years from now, I would be in the same place you are! Sheltering, but dividing time between the low country and the high country! Keep the faith and I will join you someday, God willing!

Last edited:
It's not being in the woods that would make them cancel. It is the hoard of NR (and resident) hunters that invade the state, stay at hotels, shop in Walmart, etc that could spread the virus (and take it back home to their state). If the whole state is still under "shelter in place" I can't see them allowing the season to go on. So we better not be still in lockdown by then!

Bluehair, if this would have happened 2 years from now, I would be in the same place you are! Sheltering, but dividing time between the low country and the high country! Keep the faith and I will join you someday, God willing!
I am guessing if non-residents are not allowed in to the state and there is a SIP within the state then something similar to what they did for turkey season would have to be done. Yes it is a lot of money, but what can they do. I would hope they allow local residents to continue to hunt as long as they continue to practice social distancing...might be a run on one-man tents.

If COVID-19 impacts your turkey hunting plans, CPW is waiving the 14-day minimum requirement for hunters to turn in their spring turkey license for a refund request as well as the $15 processing fee.
We will also issue customers both a full refund and restoration of their turkey preference points used to draw a returned license upon request. Licenses will still need to be postmarked and/or returned before the start of the season to be eligible for refund.

Im going to try to sneak up and see if the gates are open on my way to town. Looks like lots of snow up high still.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom