Region 7 Antelope

sb2017

I posted back in August asking about public land info in Region 7. I drew the R7 rifle antelope tag this year. I have done quite a bit of research and made a plan for the hunt that I'm pretty excited about, but at the end of the day the sheer size of Region 7 is pretty daunting.

I'm reaching out to see if any fellow MM members plan to be hunting in R7 in mid October and would be interested in exchanging contact info? If there are any deer/elk tagholders who would be interested in sharing about any public land antelope they come across, I would happily keep my eyes open for deer/elk and share the same.

Same for antelope hunters. Obviously we will be searching for the same thing, but we could also exchange info once our hunts were finished if the other party was still in search.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-19 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]Looks to me like a guy needs to be prepared for mud this weekend. You may be able to drive into where you want to hunt on the frost but getting back out after the mid morning warm up could get exciting.

That's a good point, thank you! I saw that snow was on the forecast for up there. Planning on bringing chains but it sounds like they really don't want guys driving around on muddy roads up there. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the roads are like when I get there.

Chains will not help much in the gumbo. I would plan on walking from a graveled road and hope the conditions are better when you get here. The closer you get to the SE corner or north of the Yellowstone the worse the gumbo is going to be.

Understood. That's very helpful info, thank you again. When you say gumbo... is the ground soft so the mud just too deep and sloppy for chains to do any good? Or is it that the ground is hard so the moisture just creates that really slick clay-like layer on top?

Gumbo can be both. The biggest problem with gumbo is keeping it from sticking to your tires. In the worst case it can build up and completely pack your wheel wells. Your tires just spin in a ball of mud. Chains will only make the sticking problem worse. The best bet for gumbo is to not get in when it is wet but if you find your self with a gumbo problem try to keep the tires spinning fast enough to throw the mud free and keep it from building up.

Getting excited! What's your weather doing this morning? What does the ground look like? I talked to a guy who said snow moved through but he didn't think it would stick for long.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-19 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]I appreciated the help and input that I received leading up to the hunt so I wanted to post an update/story. As hunters mentioned, the road conditions were in fact less than ideal! Antlerradar, I now know exactly what you mean by "gumbo".

Fall is the busiest time of the year for me at work, so I left home Friday afternoon much later than I had hoped. I stopped along the way to sleep and didn't end up in the unit until close to noon on Saturday. Trucks and mud galore! I made the drive up to the area that I had hoped to hunt first to find that the road had been gated off due to conditions. I thought about walking in down the road, but I had seen absolutely zero goats in the area for miles, and I could see quite a ways in front of the gate and there was nothing moving there either. I spent the rest of the day driving around getting familiar with some of the larger chunks of public, then I rushed to set up camp before it got too dark on me.

I went to bed feeling a little discouraged about the conditions. The comments I had read about lots of road hunters turned out to be 100% true, but I also was having a hard time fining a place to even walk in from that looked promising. I'm not opposed to walking a long ways to hunt, but when you can drive around the corner and glass two miles into a place you might walk into and not see anything, it feels pretty futile. Seeing the terrain and the amount of roads in the area made sense to me why there are so many road hunters. I think I would need to spend several seasons in the unit to learn which areas are worth walking into, and which areas are best to just check from a road.

Sunday morning was pretty chilly, so the ground stayed frozen for a while. I left camp a little before sunrise and made my way towards a large chunk of public that looked more isolated than the rest. I was hoping to try to get away from some of the crowds. With the ground frozen I was able to drive a little ways in on the two track road, setting a timer in my mind to be out of there before the mud came back.

I stopped and glassed for a minute and picked up a small group of antelope about a mile away. Set the spotter up and one of them looked worth pursuing. I'm trying to maximize my time away from work this year because I cashed in 15 points on a muley hunt in November, so I only budgeted 4 days for this hunt. For learning a new area that's not much time at all, but I was just happy to have the opportunity to chase some critters even if only for a few days.

I managed to sneak my way to about 500 yards from this group of antelope. When I got there, the does started acting a little skiddish and stood up from their beds like they were getting ready to run. I tried my range finder a few times but it wouldn't give me a reading on anything past 250, so I was left to just using guesswork past 250. I got ready for a shot, and in the process the buck stood up. He wasn't very big but he had a nice looking curl and he wasn't small so I decided he was worth it. I shot, and missed. I'm not sure if I guessed the range wrong, or if I hit a blade of grass since I was laying down, or what happened but all I know is that I missed! He sprinted away with the herd. I walked over and looked for blood to make absolutely sure, and was able to watch him running with the herd to know for sure I had not hit him.

I walked back up to the truck, and on my walk back I looked in the opposite direction and saw a large herd of antelope feeding around a little pond. There was a fence between me and them so I assumed they knew where the private boundary was. I got back to the truck and studied my GPS a little harder, and started to think that maybe they actually were on public and what I was seeing was just a grazing fence. I decided to load back up and sneak closer, keeping an eye on my GPS.

Sure enough, the fence was just a grazing fence. The antelope were well on public land. I felt pretty lucky in that moment because looking on the map, it looked like that little chunk of public had been carved out just for me that day. There was about 1/2 a mile of public land past the fence until it hit a large chunk of private. I crawled the rest of the way on my hands and knees and got to a spot where I could see the whole herd. There were 4 bucks in the herd, with this one standing out as the nicest. I had him at about 400 yards (guesswork again, as my rangefinder failed me again). I was able to find where 250 was with the rangefinder and then use guesswork as to how far he was past that. He started to walk away from me so as soon as he showed me his side again I took the shot. I heard the shot connect, and watched him struggle to run for a few yards until he went down in some tall grass. After the shot, finding him in that grass was the hardest part.

I still had a day to hunt when I pulled the trigger, but given what I had seen on the day before, I felt very fortunate to have a decent buck on public land within shooting range right in front of me, without two or three other hunters eyeing the same goat and competing for a shot. If I had had more time to explore the area I would have waited and used more of my time, but I didn't feel confident that I could find another nice buck on public land AND get a shot off, all with just one day left to hunt. I took the opportunity that presented itself, and I'm happy about it!

I'm thankful for the memories and meat in the freezer, as well as the input that you all gave to me that helped me succeed in this hunt! If I were to do this hunt again in the future, my biggest takeaway is to allow more time.

Antelope-2019.jpg

Looks like you had a good time. Happy to see you are not one of those posters that asks for help and is never seen from again. Thanks for the follow up.

That's a great looking buck for there.

My buddy and I hunted 700 Sat and Sun. He shot one early Sat a little smaller than yours and the game wardens checked us while loading up and said that was close to the top end. So I'd say you did pretty good.

Did you tape him out?

Thank you all! I'm certainly excited to have filled the tag.

Doe, I did not take all of his measurements for a score, but I did tape his horns just out of curiosity. He is exactly 13" and 13.5". I really was expecting him to be longer than that, but I think his lack of mass makes his horns appear longer. You can also see in the pic that his prongs are pretty small as well, so I didn't bother with getting an overall score. I might tape him out just for fun when I get him back to compare him to my buck from last year.

Makes no difference for me! I didn't go into the hunt with expectations for a monster. I think he has a beautiful shape/curl and you can't see it in this picture, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that he actually has polished tips on his curls. I will post a better pic of them when I get him back from the taxi. I did not know that was something that antelope did.

Thank you all! I'm certainly excited to have filled the tag.

Doe, I did not take all of his measurements for a score, but I did tape his horns just out of curiosity. He is exactly 13" and 13.5". I really was expecting him to be longer than that, but I think his lack of mass makes his horns appear longer. You can also see in the pic that his prongs are pretty small as well, so I didn't bother with getting an overall score. I might tape him out just for fun when I get him back to compare him to my buck from last year.

Makes no difference for me! I didn't go into the hunt with expectations for a monster. I think he has a beautiful shape/curl and you can't see it in this picture, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that he actually has polished tips on his curls. I will post a better pic of them when I get him back from the taxi. I did not know that was something that antelope did.

That's a good goat for Montana, congrats on the hunt. I will have that tag this year, hopefully I can find one similar to yours.

Congrats on the goat !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom