Region 700

HalfAce

Very Active Member
Never posted my hunt, but since its so quiet around here and im out of school for the summer i will throw mine in now. I drew the combo tag again this year so this will add a little fuel to the fire.

This year it was my father, best friend and his dad going, and we got to our area the day before the deer opener. This year I was the only deer A tag holder, and my friend had an antelope buck tag. While the rest only had doe tags.

The road conditions sucked like usual the first few days. And on the opener both my dad and friends dad filled a doe tag. This was my friends dads first deer, but dont have a picture of the thing. After they locked up the rifles, they brought out the Johnny Walker. Ill try to find pics of that.
9122teresas_pictures_and_other_175.jpg

Over the next few days, it got slightly warmer and i didnt see many shooter bucks. Saw a few hundred does, but spent my time looking over bucks. Saw many 2x2's 3x3's and a few small 3x4's. On day 3 of our hunt got within 75 yards of a decent 3x4, but still had another 3 days so he walked.

On day 5 I saw this buck that I shot. He saw me first and set off on a dead run. Which didnt leave me with a lot of time to judge him, but from what I had seen so far this season and with only 1 day left, I took my chance. 2 shots from my 7mm mag put him down from 200 yards. While i have seen a few bigger in years past (not the last 3 yrs) i was still VERY happy with him.

1146teresas_pictures_and_other_145.jpg

2169teresas_pictures_and_other_159.jpg

My best friend drew his first Antelope tag, and I helped him the next day to try and get a buck, but he missed every set we made on them. We had been to the range more than a handfull of times before the season, and he did well, but he is still learning how to judge distance in such vast expanses like out in the eastern part of the state. On the 7th day, when we were supposed to be leaving for home, we woke up early and went out for a little overtime hunt, and connected with this doe.

4633teresas_pictures_and_other_179.jpg

1866copy_of_teresas_pictures_and_other_194.jpg

Overall there seemed to be a lack of fawns and older bucks. I used to see a few mature deer every year, but have seen none in the last 2. Dont know if its blue tongue or winter kill? I also wonder if there has been a significant winter kill this 2010 winter season in the eastern part of the state? Was wondering if someone that lives or has been up there has seen this kind of thing this spring. Anyway, this year we are probably going to look elsewhere for a older class buck. Also, this was the first week of the season so thats why maybe we didnt see older deer, so fall 2010 we are going the 3rd week of the season. Have a great summer, and an even better fall, goodluck to all!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom