region c mule deer?

W

WidowMaker223

Could anyone give me any basic advice for mule deer hunting around the gillette area? I have a region c general tag, but other than my maps and talking to the game wardens I don't have alot of information about the area. I have done alot of research but I can't come up with alot on where to concentrate my time in area c. The game wardens info sounded like they had given that same speech to the last 10,000 people they had talked to. I thought maybe someone on here has hunted in that area or lives nearby and would be willing to point me in the right direction.
I would just like to find out some areas I can go find a nice muley!(I'm pretty sure your going to tell me they are all dead though HA HA)

I've hunted region C southeast of Gillette. Paid a tresspass fee to hunt on the Pickerel Land and Cattle co. property. Typical fun high plains deer hunt - lots of 20 - 24 inch thin horned 3 X 4's. They run guided hunts there now so that option is out. I'd say private land is the key in C. There isn't much public and what there is gets pounded. Did you get the private landowner list from the Wyo game and fish ? I'd guess you're looking at about $500 - $1,000 for a decent ranch tresspass fee. GOOD LUCK ! Chip

Yes, they are all dead.
Seriously, I'll 2nd that deal chipc speaks of--little late to be lining that kind of thing up right now, though still entirely possible and even likely, but not for a 25"+ 4-pt. For a 3-pt., sure.
If the Muley Buck fee is untenable in your opinion (they go MUCH higher, by the way, down on the Powder on certain places in the NW of Campbell Co.), then I think we can probably set you off on a public Muley quest with little or no fanfare, and little or no expectations, but a fun hunt and probably backstraps on your grill.
20 days!--time to Hunt!

Rump

Funny you mention the game warden speech. I ran into a warden last week who I've known for years. I asked him if he'd been taking lot's of calls on where to hunt. His response was, he was sick of it. Said it was one of the least favorite things about his job. Reminds me of when I worked at a sporting goods store years ago in Laramie. I used to tell all the Colorado fisherman the same thing; the fishing's great, use this fly, use that fly, blah, blah, blah. They ate it up...

Yeah I can't blame the Game wardens AT ALL. I would be giving the same speech to everyone for sure! They did help some, but I bet after the same question gets aked 3 million times you just naturally develope a standard answer.
I do have the landowner list. I will probably line up some back up on private land( If not too late!) & try to see what I can find deep in the public land first. I wasn't expecting a monster anyway, so I will just go at it hard and do the best I can.
"Maybe I'll get lucky or maybe I'll just have to settle for less but either way I'm gonna come out of there with something". Of course this is the same thought proccess that will have you waking up next to a fat chick! I found this a much more effective method when applied to mule deer though.
Anyway thanks for the responses & I'll hopefully get to post some pics.

Nick,
If you go later in the season you'll see WAY less hunters and have a better chance of getting on private. You can probably pick up a leftover Antelope tag too. Either way its some great country and you'll have fun. Show us the pics when you get back. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom