Region G archery deer

tmbr_hntr

I think I will be elk hunting in the area for for a couple weeks in Sept. and have the points to get a G deer tag. Should I pull the trigger on the deer tag? PMs welcome. I know they have been hit hard by last winter, but I sure would hate to come accross a big muley with no tag in my pocket.

Thanks

Under the circumstances you mention, I would probably go for it. If your luck is like mine, you would probably regret not doing it if you got a chance at a good one and don't have the tag. I'm really beginning to rethink building a bunch of PPs for deer the way things are going the last few years, especially down there.

On the plus side there are a-lot of open roads during the archery season. When the rifle starts those gates close. Good luck to ya.

What are you saving your points for? If you don't have a specific unit in mind that you are trying to accumulate points for then why would you not get a G tag. Personnally I dont see why anybody would just gather points for Wyoming. It is not like there are any really great untis that jump out as having outstanding trophy potential. I think G and H are still as good a shot as any unit in Wyoming. Yes the herds are down and they are not what they used to be but if you are expecting that to change anytime soon then I think you are mistaken. Get the tag and have a great time.

Not really saving my points for anything. My real question is whether or not it would be worth having the tag while I'm elk hunting with my bow or if I should try and focus on a deer hunt(maybe rifle) at some other point. Looks like 145 opens for rifle on Sept. 15th so maybe I could take the rifle and if I have an elk already go hunt that unit after the 15th?

I would definetly have as many tags in my pocket as I could. Heck I would get an antelope tag as well. You would be shocked at how high you will find antelope at that time of year. Good luck to you, hope your truck full on the way home.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-12 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]I'll give you a different opinion. I hunt that area every year as a non-res. Deer one year, elk the next, and so on, and have followed that schedule for quite sometime.

I've found, that its just too hard to target both species on one hunt hunt. Early/mid september the elk are staging and rutting in the lower timber and meadows and at the same time the bucks are clear at the top in the alpine. Really not conducive to chase bugling bulls in the morning and then march 1500-2000 feet up to the bucks. Sure, you might cross paths with a good buck or bull anywhere at anytime, but it hasn't been my experience.

I'd recommend only one tag. Take your time, hunt the animal you want, don't feel rushed trying to fill two expensive tags... and then do it again next year for deer!

+1,ForkWest.Now,if a guy has 2-3 weeks to hunt,that's a different story.Trying to concentrate on 2 species at the same time can screw with your head big time.

As a resident here, I wouldn't want want to hunt one without a tag for the other. I've seen some amazing bucks while in the timber with elk going nuts all around me. A few of them would be on the wall if I didn't limit my archery equipment.

That being said, if I were saving points for years to get the hunt, I would want to have the time to dedicate to filling both tags. Methods of elk and deer hunting are night and day and your points may be worth more than you want to put more to chance than to a planned hunt focused on filling that tag.

What you guys say is true and the reason I said get the tag is he that he will be out there for two full weeks. If it was for a week or less, I would say just to concentrate on the elk tag.

I have a minimum of 2 weeks to hunt and maybe longer. If I only had 1 week I would just go elk, but I have had good luck getting elk in the first week in the past and then wished I could still hunt. I think I will get the deer tag even if it's $600. Ouch.

Hey, you only live once and you never know what restrictions the G&F might put in place in G & H in the next year or two on deer.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom