Region H drop camp

SS!

Long Time Member
Does anyone know of anyone that does drop camps in region H? I know where I want to go but with my older age I would be interested in getting dropped off by horses and picked up a week later. I found some by Jackson but they do not offer drop camps in H.

Thanks

They're getting harder to find. Bridger-Teton NF is fairly strict on how many hunt days these guys get to operate and depending from year to year may have openings or not. Contact some of the outfitters working in the Bondurant area. Assuming your looking at that portion of H since you tried Jackson area. I'd try the Blackpowder Guest Ranch, Sleeping Indian Outfitters, Shoal Creek Outfitters, Green River & Bridger Teton Outfitters, Meeks Brothers Outfitting.

Your best bet is to rent horses. Founder has a link on here to an outfit he uses in Afton. They will haul horses for you to the trailhead for a fee. Some use the llamas but you still have to walk in. The outfitters cannot get permission from the forest service anymore during hunting season for drop camps.

I have access to horses in Wyoming but do not want to babysit them where I want to go. Also there is very little water in the area I’m going which currently keeps the horse guys out of there for the most part.

I have access to horses in Wyoming but do not want to babysit them where I want to go. Also there is very little water in the area I’m going which currently keeps the horse guys out of there for the most part.
Every time I hear that story about water it rarely holds true. The water is there in seeps and springs and snow patches leftover. You just need to search for it. The deer have to water from some source and most of those high country basins hold ample water sources or they wouldn’t be there in the first place. The llamas might work as they require a great deal less water. There are some good topo maps still around which show some of the springs on them.

Every time I hear that story about water it rarely holds true. The water is there in seeps and springs and snow patches leftover. You just need to search for it. The deer have to water from some source and most of those high country basins hold ample water sources or they wouldn’t be there in the first place. The llamas might work as they require a great deal less water. There are some good topo maps still around which show some of the springs on them.
It’s dry back there. That’s the beauty of the research. I know what it’s going to take to get it done. It’s going to be tough to find enough water for me, much less any pack animals. I’ve done the hunts where you have to dig to find water. And this area is worse. That’s probably why theres very few deer back there in the first place. I’m sure a lot of the moisture they get is from the vegetation. Once late September hits there’s not a deer back there.
I’ll look into the llamas. Thanks!

It’s dry back there. That’s the beauty of the research. I know what it’s going to take to get it done. It’s going to be tough to find enough water for me, much less any pack animals. I’ve done the hunts where you have to dig to find water. And this area is worse. That’s probably why theres very few deer back there in the first place. I’m sure a lot of the moisture they get is from the vegetation. Once late September hits there’s not a deer back there.
I’ll look into the llamas. Thanks!
I did that once in H, there are definitely drainages without water for whatever reason. After digging my 3rd dry hole, I ended up taking 2 llamas and walking back 2 miles to the stream and loading them up with 7 gallons each and loading me up with water in order to be able to stay back there a few more days.....maybe you need to rent horses for just 1 day on both ends of your hunt and get a "friend" to take them in and back out for you?

Yeah if you hunt high country enough times you will find those spots without water.

I have access to horses but wouldn't cash in a favor for a friend/family to drop me off and come back later. It's just not who I am. Pretty greedy to have someone give up a couple of their days in the fall to help me out. September is too short to be doing that :)

Yeah if you hunt high country enough times you will find those spots without water.

I have access to horses but wouldn't cash in a favor for a friend/family to drop me off and come back later. It's just not who I am. Pretty greedy to have someone give up a couple of their days in the fall to help me out. September is too short to be doing that :)

I think that is the point of him having "friend" in quotes. A couple phone calls and you could maybe find a "friend" that will take the time to do this in exchange for a monetary donation... lol

I think that is the point of him having "friend" in quotes. A couple phone calls and you could maybe find a "friend" that will take the time to do this in exchange for a monetary donation... lol
That would most likely be breaking a law

That would most likely be breaking a law
Maybe you can find someone who lives up there who is interested in hunting an area you're very familiar with and then help them out in exchange. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. That's the whole point of this site, is for folks to connect, become friends and help each other have hunting fun.
I certainly wouldn't exchange any money, but developing a friendship and helping each other out is completely legal and a good thing. Maybe they'd even want to hunt with you?? I don't know?

The horse rental is a good option if you're comfortable with horses. You'd have to rent the horses and trailer from Chad, as the outfitters got the delivery to trailhead option shut down a while back.....except for them of course.
But horses can be a pain to deal with every day and water and feed is always questionable unless you already know exactly where you want to hunt.

Drop camps are tricky, because outfitters are limited on where they can drop hunters. For example, an outfitter can't drop a hunter within I think 5 miles of another outfitters base camp. So they have to drop you in their area or somewhere 5+ miles from another outfitters base camp, which is tricky. I believe it was five miles Sy told me, but not exactly certain off the top of my head. I'm sure most of the outfitters abide by the rules.

Brian, when did you hear Chad could no longer deliver horses to the trailhead? We always bring our own trailer, but was thinking about having horses delivered this year. I am curious because a friend has had horse's delivered the last two years for the elk season with no issues.

I’ll ask Chad, but my understanding is that because it’s forest service land that a permit is required to conduct business on NF. By delivering horses to clients on NF, it’s conducting business according to NFS.
I was told that Outfitters forced the FS to enforce the permit requirements. I’d imagine they did that to try and force people to use an outfitter.

BUT, Chad just got back to me and he can deliver. I guess he has a FS permit to do it. So there you go, you’re right. I didn’t know there was a permit to even be had for horse delivery.

Thanks Brian. This is one of the main reasons I just can't support WYOGA. They try to regulate everyone else but themselves. If Sy had his way he would shut every business down but his own. This is what's wrong with today's outfitters.

Roughly half of the outfitters in the state of wyoming are part of WYOGA. No outfitter is required to be a member and many are not because of the same conception about Sy and his cronies. Sy is definitely not respected by most other outfits that ive ever heard of. Hell, I know his brother and he hasn't spoke to him in many years!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom