Region H

35huntdeer

Just got back from a scouting trip to the area that we have hunted in Region H for the last 17 or 18 years.... It looks more like the middle of June than the end of July. It seems that even the animals are 4-6 weeks behind schedule. Saw a herd of at least 100 elk all grouped together with their calves. We saw a lot less deer than we usually see... I would day they have been cut in half. The bucks we did see looked like they were way behind in their antler growth... short stubby forks.
I had been hearing the winter kill was bad in G and H, and as far as I could tell its true!

Latest issue of Wyoming Outdoors has a good article confirming this fact.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I was also up in H scouting Friday and Saturday. Honestly it was one of the best scouting trips I have had into that country as I saw a lot of bucks (yes they are a little behind in their growth but I think they will finish up well), bull elk, bull moose, and a big nursery group of cows and caves (about 120 in the herd). I was nervous about all of the winter kill talk that has been going around, but I honestly didn't see any effect in the area I have been hunting for a few years now. Just thought I would share my experience with you guys. Good Luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-11 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]I have a Region G tag this year and I had a Region G tag last year. I will let you know the difference in the amount of Bucks I see this year compaired to last year. I know that last year was worse than Our hunt in 2007. I have the first week off for the hunt this year. No report will hold me back from hunting for the big boys.

We saw quite a few bucks in H last year. If there are half as many this year we'll be just fine. I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed. It only takes one to make it a trip of a lifetime!!! we're getting close... startin to get the fever! cant wait! Good luck to all, cant wait to see this years pictures!

I went into H for a scouting trip last weekend and in 2 days only saw 5 bucks 4x4 24 inch,4x4 22 inch, 3x3 26 inch, 3x3 19 inch, 3x3 14 inch,2x2 10 inch. those as just aproximate widths.no real deep forks to any of them or age.Still good to get out but definitly not the honney hole I was looking for. Ill have to try a diffrent spot next weekend.

I went into H for a scouting trip last weekend and in 2 days only saw 5 bucks 4x4 24 inch,4x4 22 inch, 3x3 26 inch, 3x3 19 inch, 3x3 14 inch,2x2 10 inch. those as just aproximate widths.no real deep forks to any of them or age.Still good to get out but definitly not the honney hole I was looking for. Ill have to try a diffrent spot next weekend.

hey next time you post could you please lie to me and tell me about all the 30 inchers and non-typical 10 year old bucks you see! just kidding! thanks for the input. They better hurry up with the horn growth! We're gettin close! good luck with your new spot!

No problem I see those 30 inch bucks every other day to bad their in my dreams LOL! Good luck on your hunt, sounds like you guys saw lots last year so Im sure you will be fine. This was just an area that looked good on goole earth so I thought I would check it out. Looked good in person too just not as chalked full of deer as I had hoped.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom