Region Q Deer 90-1

rbdrbd

Headed up in October to chase some of those badland bucks but never been in the area.. planning on covering/glassing lots of country but could use a little direction. Bringing my little man along for the adventure looking for any help. Thank you

Headed up in October to chase some of those badland bucks but never been in the area.. planning on covering/glassing lots of country but could use a little direction. Bringing my little man along for the adventure looking for any help. Thank you
They are scattered throughout the herd so anywhere can be good. Always a few nice bucks taken off the Beaver Rim and Divide.

New member? Check

Mere days before season? Check

Never hunted the area? Check

Sob story (got a kid, had surgery, am a veteran, bringing my old dad for his last hunt, have terminal cancer, etc, etc, etc.) Check

The only thing missing is the bit about not wanting anyone‘s honey hole.

Votes on whether we’ll hear from “rbdrbd”after the season?

New member? Check

Mere days before season? Check

Never hunted the area? Check

Sob story (got a kid, had surgery, am a veteran, bringing my old dad for his last hunt, have terminal cancer, etc, etc, etc.) Check

The only thing missing is the bit about not wanting anyone‘s honey hole.

Votes on whether we’ll hear from “rbdrbd”after the season?
Bone picker..

So you were never a new member anywhere? Is a forum not created to help and support others that share in the same hobbies. Are we not divided enough as a country and community right now.

Newer member.. correct.. thanks for the warm welcome.

Season goes for 30 days, done what scouting I can while supporting a young family, figured I would source those willing to help. Obviously your not one and that’s okay your opinion is yours.

Sob story.. don’t get me started. As far as my kids or kid.. trust me that isn’t a cry for more help it’s a simple comment from a proud father saying my lil man is coming along as a general comment. It’s a conversation piece.. like “I probably wouldn’t drag a kid into that canyon” etc.

Im not looking for any conflict; I’m trying to ask for any assistance from those they may know a tip on the general area. Your looking for a keyboard fight and I’m not interested, I’m over fighting with people over trivial things. Have a good day man, this right here is the reason I waited so long to even ask.

Just wondering, did you actually draw the type 1 tag for area 90? Looks like you'd need at least 13 points for that. Or do you just have the Region Q tag? If that's the case you can only hunt 96, 97, and 98.

Also, it appears that you're actually not a new member. Your first post was 3 1/2 years ago in February 2018. I wouldn't call that new.

That's great! Should be a good hunt. Have a good time with your son. If it were me I'd hunt the last week.
Thank you. We are planning a little 2 day get away at the start to get our bearings then coming to back up the last week and getting more serious. His wrestling season keeps trying to mess with our hunting season; finding it hard to balance. Appreciate your help.

Thank you. We are planning a little 2 day get away at the start to get our bearings then coming to back up the last week and getting more serious. His wrestling season keeps trying to mess with our hunting season; finding it hard to balance. Appreciate your help.
Are you camping out? It is pretty remote way back in there and you will want to be out there at daylight and dark for sure. Deer seem to be scattered around.

Are you camping out? It is pretty remote way back in there and you will want to be out there at daylight and dark for sure. Deer seem to be scattered around.
Nri; Yes that’s the plan. Going to go in with extra gas food and water: head in from Riverton?. I was going to throw the utv in the enclosed trailer then pull it out and run the roads with it then shack up in it wherever we end up.. going to be an adventure. If you have a different suggestion I am all ears. If I don’t need the utv I’ll just throw the spring bar in. Thanks for your time.

Nri; Yes that’s the plan. Going to go in with extra gas food and water: head in from Riverton?. I was going to throw the utv in the enclosed trailer then pull it out and run the roads with it then shack up in it wherever we end up.. going to be an adventure. If you have a different suggestion I am all ears. If I don’t need the utv I’ll just throw the spring bar in. Thanks for your time.
I like that idea with the UTV, there are some rough roads way back in there and yes, going in from Riverton is a good option....

Not a back country unit. Looks like antelope country more than deer country. Not a lot of deer, find water. Start in the southwest border and work the rim east.

Rich

Not a back country unit. Looks like antelope country more than deer country. Not a lot of deer, find water. Start in the southwest border and work the rim east.

Rich
Rich,

Thank you for the input! I appreciate your time and advise. Excited to see what we can find!

I hunted the unit for deer in 2017 and antelope a couple years ago. I would be happy to help you out with some areas.

Find the water find the bucks if you hunt early. Little springs here and there aren't obvious but wild horses will let you know where they are. Hunt as late as possible for the big ones. Glass till your eyes hurt then Glass some more.

Find the water find the bucks if you hunt early. Little springs here and there aren't obvious but wild horses will let you know where they are. Hunt as late as possible for the big ones. Glass till your eyes hurt then Glass some more.
30Hart, thank you! Headed up early but plan to hunt all season if I can. Haha you sound like my uncle about glassing.. he used to stick me on a hill from sunup to sundown and seems like we always ended up finding fur to chase because of it.. Grateful for your time, thanks!

Thank you for everyone's help. We covered more miles on the truck, quad and boots then most hunts. For sure a unique unit. Hunted everything.. catcus, sagebrush, bottoms, small hills and up to the rim. As mentioned above.. We glassed until a our eyes bled.. We came home with calluses around the eye sockets ?.. Did not see many bucks but my wife and boy was with me the whole time. Sunday morning after 3 days we found a mature buck and we decided it was time to make a memory. Snuck up for a 1 shot kill. A hunt and memory we are not going to forget.. I'm sure late season these bucks are a lot easier to find and start moving but this hunt was so fun and perfect for my family. Thanks again for being such a great community and all the outreach. We are all smiles and grateful.. now back to wrestling season. BD

driggsdeer.jpg

hike1.jpg

hike2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice buck and thanks for the update.

Hey bonepicker no congrats from you, he did show back up with an update and the season is not even over yet.

Nice buck and thanks for the update.

Hey bonepicker no congrats from you, he did show back up with an update and the season is not even over yet.
Hey Tex,
Been on my own hunt with my daughter. I liked his success post, what more are you wanting? ?

Happy to see the younguns have success and a great buck at that!

Glad that he rose to the challenge and followed through with some thanks for those who helped and some pics of the hunt. Love to see it! 90% of the new people never show up again after their hunt.

My checklist is unchanged, if someone shows up days before season, asking for help as a new member, with some reason that they have not been able to scout, wanting “general areas, not anyone’s honey hole”, personally, I won’t be helping, though I’ll probably add a snarky comment again haha!? but you do you! Help if you want, fine with me.

It’s the miracle of the internet, so many things are less work than they used to be, buying and selling, connecting with family and friends, scouting for big game, for better or worse, this is the way it is now.

My hunt this year, there are couple places that were mentioned here on MM from like 2005, 2007, 2008 and as I drove by those places this year, they were packed (just like they were 2 years ago when I was hunting with my son). What is posted is here forever and there are some places that have been blown open by someone offhandedly posting a location 15 years ago or more.

All the locations and strategies mentioned here in this post will be used for years to come, just the new reality.

Humm, I offered congrats not help but I will do me and I really hope your daughter has success on her hunts.
I will call out your snarky comments but it's all good.:confused:

Thank you for everyone's help. We covered more miles on the truck, quad and boots then most hunts. For sure a unique unit. Hunted everything.. catcus, sagebrush, bottoms, small hills and up to the rim. As mentioned above.. We glassed until a our eyes bled.. We came home with calluses around the eye sockets ?.. Did not see many bucks but my wife and boy was with me the whole time. Sunday morning after 3 days we found a mature buck and we decided it was time to make a memory. Snuck up for a 1 shot kill. A hunt and memory we are not going to forget.. I'm sure late season these bucks are a lot easier to find and start moving but this hunt was so fun and perfect for my family. Thanks again for being such a great community and all the outreach. We are all smiles and grateful.. now back to wrestling season. BD

View attachment 54067

View attachment 54075

View attachment 54076
Congrats on a nice buck.

Well done. Looks like a great time with family. Thats a nice buck and in my experience its about the caliber you can reasonably expect in a Wyoming LE area.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom