Region W

pymulies

SO.....i was wondering how everyone was doing in region W...Looks to me like the winter kill did some pretty good damage on numbers.
I think the consensus is that there is Jack $#!T Nothing out there.

OH Well, there's always ten years from now when the numbers and age rebounds from the general season tag numbers.

Was nice camping weather though.
PY

I was in D just over the line from W and it was not good. We saw an average of about 10 deer a day, but all does and fawns. Not one buck! Maybe it was just bad luck or something I don't know, but I was disappointed for my first Wyoming deer hunt.

Just got back on Sat. Didn t see much at first but started to see about 50-60 does a day with a lot of fawns mixed in their. All I saw were small forked horns the whole time so I came home empty handed. My cousin shot a small 3 pointer on wed before it closed but the following day ran into 2 huge 4 pointers trying to dog for me. He was sick all the way home!! The warden we talked to said it was about a 50 percent winter kill, but 2 mild winters will bring the deer factory back. Checked the locker at baggs and saw maybe 4-5 good bucks hanging and that was it. Saw 2 nice bucks killed at battle but alot of guys were complaining due to lack of deer. Last year their was no one around on the last few days but this year the road hunters were out in full force still looking for a buck. Don

Too bad we aren't supposed to get another easy winter until two years from now. That is due to the cloud seeding they are doing in Utah. I complain about low deer numbers but i still like seeing it snow like it used to when i was a kid. Last year wasn't a terrible year just finally normal again. I'm not looking for the deer population to come back for atleast another five years. I love it when the G&F admits to a 50% winter kill but still opens the area up to general season for all residents and the same number of tags for residents. Sounds kind of counter productive to me. One good thing they did do is lessen the tags for the late season draw hunt in 82.

PY

hey Py, sorry did not get ahold of you when I was there, deer season went 3 for 6, I passed on all small bucks, 2 guy stayed for elk my buddy missed a big 6pt & I did not pull the trigger but was on the elk half of the season, winter hurts but should help the age class of deer & yes wyoming fish & game are idiots, will destroy this area if things are not changed, I hit black ice on the 21st totaled my truck of rd 830, kind of put a hamper on the trip, Me & my buddy hunted very hard logging in about 120 miles of hiking & now looking forward to our montana trip in Nov.

Likewise PY,though I had a nice chat(by phone) with your mom.

JV, it was great meeting you and your buddy out on Deep Creek. None of the pictures of your wreck turned out so I can't show how Dodges cut through trees on a 45 sidehill.
Good luck in Montana. Post the results.
Herb

Sorry Herb it was a bit of a crazy fall for me. With only working 6 days and trying to visit my girl...it was hectic (sp?) to say the least. Hope everything turned out well for you and sorry i couldn't help with the hunt.

PY

As usual, we had a great time in Wyo. Got a nice old bull bison in Jackson and dropped him off at Clint's shop in Baggs for mounting and scoring.
Elk hunting didn't fare as well.I never got close enough to a bull for a shot.Checked out area 13 for a couple of days,but found very little elk activity there.The weather just wasn't cooperating either.
As they say,there's always next year.I just know there will be one for me on the "hill" behind your old ranch house where my partner passed on a 300yd shot because of inexperience.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom