Regulations Help

Wyo

Ok, so I understand that NR's can only have a shot at drawing a moose, sheep, or goat tag in the areas that are listed on the application. However it says "BASED ON THE TENTATIVE QUOTAS, NONRESIDENTS CAN APPLY IN THE FOLLOWING
HUNTING DISTRICTS, HOWEVER, FINAL QUOTAS SET IN JUNE MAY CHANGE THIS." So it seems to me that I could put in for an area and then in June they decide to change the quota and I could conceivably have a 0% chance at drawing if the FWP decided to not have a NR tag for the area I put in for. Does this happen every year? Does anyone have a copy of last years application so I could compare the areas that NR's could apply for in comparison to the areas that NR's were actually drawn for? Couldn't find the 2007 application form online.

Any other NR's out there that have a copy of the 2007 Montana Nonresident Moose, Sheep, & Goat application so I could compare with actual draw results?

See my post in the other section...

To answer your question, they tycally don't cut the tag numbers if at all from year to year for moose/sheep/goat. They ahve a pretty good idea how many tags they're going to give when regs are finalized. Don't sweat it, your odds are about zero as a NR anyway. :)

I think I may have figured it out. Is this how it works? Each year Montana FWP selects which areas NR's are eligible to apply for. They are then lumped into the draw with the residents for that area. The tag could go to either a NR or a resident, which perhaps is why there are some areas where NR's have applied for and none of them drew a tag and vice versa. Montana does not specifically set aside tags for NR's, just limited to up to 10% of the total, correct? Wish they would just do a better job of explaining exactly how their draw process works.

You got it. I think in the end, they give at least one tag for just about all the units that NR can apply for. We can only apply for a handfull of the total units, so even if giving one tag comes out as "more than 10%" in the end it still averages out. Good luck in the draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom