rejoice, fans of public lands grazing

P.T. Jeffers

the rate remains the same as last year. $1.35 equates to about 4.5 cents per day per cow and her calf.

$1.35 per animal unit month

WASHINGTON – The federal grazing fee for 2024 remains $1.35 per animal unit month for public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and $1.35 per head month for lands managed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service.

Last year in wyoming I was charged $426 for a 10 day hunt billed as a "public land use fee"

(hunting in a wilderness area as a NR so I had to hire a guide. really quite a nice racket!)

if I did the math right on a monthly basis, one hunter = 946 cow/calf units

Last edited:
looking back to prior hunt contracts, it appears to be 3% of the total hunt cost, which for me has ranged from $255 to $426 per hunt, dependent on hunt length

Last year in wyoming I was charged $426 for a 10 day hunt billed as a "public land use fee"

(hunting in a wilderness area as a NR so I had to hire a guide. really quite a nice racket!)

if I did the math right on a monthly basis, one hunter = 946 cow/calf units
WHO charged you that?

three different outfitters (that break it down in the contract), I'm sure others just roll it into the total.

FWIW, every permitted river trip I've been on, commercial or private, has also had a "user fee" surcharge per person that adds up to a couple hundred bucks per permit

from as little as $4 per person up to $100 per person (grand canyon).

I'd say the average is $20 per person for most rivers with a lottery draw

my understanding of the outfitting industry is that (for both hunting and rafting) a company buys a permit from the .gov that specifies a hard cap on the number of user-days. and these are 6-7 figure permits depending on the quality of the area.

don't sell all your user days? money down the drain.

(this is why these outfitters often offer summer pack trips, fishing trips, etc. they need to sell their user-days without overhunting their area)

the river systems have a hard cap on total user days split between commercial and private users.

at least on land this isn't always the case in that private user days are only capped for very high use trails/destinations.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom